Author Topic: How have you built a successful freelance writing career?  (Read 313 times)

Offline jrlarsen3

How have you built a successful freelance writing career?
« on: September 03, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have questions for any freelance writers, or anyone who is making a career out of writing? First of all, how did you get started? How long did it take you to build a full-time career out of writing? Do you have any suggestions on how to start? Do you have tips for particularly good places to look for freelance gigs and/or full-time writing jobs? Thank you. Any advice or information you can provide would be great!  :)

-John

Offline Mark T

Re: How have you built a successful freelance writing career?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »
I've done some paid freelance writing and it seems that like so much else, who you know makes a big difference. It's a tough gig. I have a day job but my partner's a full-time conservation journalist and travel writer, has been for over 20 years and traveled the world. I dunno what her secret is but she has talent and works hard.
Onetime, I was living half off the grid in a semi rural area and somehow started doing business writing for local tradesmen, drafting pamphlets, quotations, loan applications, reports, letters of demand, replies to letters of demand and so on. Got paid with two live chickens once but there is a niche for it - good experience too.
As a general contractor I win jobs because my polished estimates make the others look half-assed - I also do good work but that's another story  ;D. Just keep writing and looking out - remember Rumi - what you are seeking is also seeking you.

Offline janetmcgin

Re: How have you built a successful freelance writing career?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:31:07 PM »
Mark: thanks for the advice. I hope what I'm seeking finds me, lol.