Author Topic: Chinese Dragon Dance - Don't miss the chance!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Chinese Dragon Dance - Don't miss the chance!
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Sunday 18 February is the start of the Chinese New Year.

If a town near you has a sizeable population of Chinese there is a very good chance they will be performing the Dragon Dance.  Or the Lion Dance, or Unicorn Dance.  If you have never seen it before it's a truy colourful spectacle and a real education in how a collection of fabric and poles can take on a very real life of its own.  Rituals like this can be fascinating, and the smiles on those often enigmnatic faces are lovely to see.

I - and my trusty camera - shall be following the Dragon through the streets of Southampton tomorrow, when it leaves the Civic Centre some time between 11 and 11-30 following speeches, martial arts displays, and some noisy fireworks.

Photo attached from last year.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

Re: Chinese Dragon Dance - Don't miss the chance!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
Thanks for reminding me I should go down into Amsterdam I reckon it will all be happening there too

Lin

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 04:53:59 PM »
I'm lucky enough to live close enough to SanFrancisco to see their TV stations, though not close enough to want to drive there.  So we get fairly good film coverage of the New Year's parade.  The dances are a lot of fun to watch.  If I could walk, I would love to be able to go in person.

If we are lucky, one of the channels might even show The Flower Drum Song--  one of my favorite movies. 

The newscasters here have been showing clips from previous parades and saying "gung hei fat choy" for days.

orchid
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »
There's often one in Cambridge, UK.  Thanks for the reminder.

Mind you, more importantly, 19th is Cathy C's birthday.   ;)

Happy Chinese New Year next week folks,

C