Author Topic: Can you find a publisher before writing your book?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Aly

Can you find a publisher before writing your book?
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:25:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback re my "90 Homes" book idea. You have been a big help.

I have heard that by having a literary agent, you can sell your book before actually writing it.
I gather you have to supply a synopsis of your book idea and a sample chapter.
Can anyone confirm if this is so ? It sounds too good to be true.

If not, then what is the best approach for a first time writer. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Aly.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Can you find a publisher before writing your book?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:26 PM »
You can certainly do this, and you don't need an agent either. Most publishers will consider non-fiction book proposals along the lines you describe. Even new writers can have proposals accepted, though it obviously helps if you can demonstrate some sort of publishing record and/or expertise in the field concerned.

There is actually a lot to be said in favour of this method. As well as saving you some work (if no-one is interested in your book), if a publisher likes your idea, they may have specific suggestions as to how the book should be written. They may even be able to help you with it.

Unfortunately this approach cannot normally be used with novels, unless perhaps you are a well-known, successful author already. For most of us, if you want to sell a novel, you will first have to write it!

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Judy

• Color My Words
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »
Hi Nick,

This is really good information for me too.

My name is Judy and I am brand-spankin' new to My Writer's Circle.  I have a topic for a non-fiction book that I want to propose.  I feel the primary target will be readers in Israel.  Do you have any idea how I can proceed?

~ Judy

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 03:37:49 AM »
Judy, at the risk of stating the obvious, I guess your first step will be to research publishers in Israel. I'm not exactly sure how you would do this, but maybe other readers of this forum will be able to add some suggestions.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Bob B.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 03:21:12 AM »
     There are several books that offer guidelines for creating a book proposal.  The one that comes to mind is "How to Write a Book Proposal" (I'm pretty sure that's the title).  Check the Writers Digest web site or Amazon, you be able to pick it up from either of them.