Author Topic: Please Help - Dealing with Sexuality and Pregnancy in Children's book  (Read 173 times)

Offline mikosanaya

• View Profile
Hi everyone, I have reached an impasse in my children's book that I'm working on and need help with dealing with a sensitive topic.  My book is about slug people and one of the male characters basically gets another girl pregnant and is forced to marry her.  This actually kicks off the book and makes the main protagonist leave on her adventure because she is in love with this boy and is heartbroken. I've tried to write it in a way that isn't too obvious.  Below is an expert. Please let me know if this is too much for children:

Delphy moved even closer to Sludrick and put her arms around him to give him a hug.  But this wasn’t any ordinary hug, it was a special kind of hug.  It felt wonderful and amazing, something Sludrick never felt before. When Delphy let go of Sludrick, he was smiling. But then he thought of Petunia and his smile faded into a look of worry.  “Oh no,” he thought.  Petunia would not be happy to hear about this.  Sludrick decided not to tell her and hoped that she wouldn’t find out.

Later on in the book (the next chapter), Sludrick finds out that Petunia is with child and according to Slug People law, he is forced to marry her.

Would a parent who read this get upset?  I want Sludrick to have to get married but I don't want it to be some cop out like arranged marriage or something.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Offline mikosanaya

• View Profile
Re: Please Help - Dealing with Sexuality and Pregnancy in Children's book
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
Wow, what the hell???  That is not my intention at all. I
You haven't even seen the rest of my book and already you jump to this ridiculous conclusion?  This book is actually based on a series of dreams that I have been having and felt compelled to make a book out of it.

You haven't seen the artwork, you haven't read my, but oh it must be some sort if political piece. This book is basically about bringing two different species together through music and song.

Offline Tytanica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:56:32 PM »
I'm a parent, and, honestly, no, I wouldn't read it to my kid. The whole issue is not a children's issue. It's an adult issue. I'm not going to be reading a book about "accidental" pregnancy to a child. And, seriously? "Special kind of hug"? It's like you're trying to sneak sex into a kids' book. Why? I don't see any good coming from that. 

Offline mikosanaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:14:43 PM »
I guess I will just have to figure it out how to get around the forced marriage thing on my own...

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »

How about if there is some sort of tragedy and there is a slug orphan they are asked to adopt and they then have to get married to be proper foster parents? As far as dealing with pregnancies go, just gloss over the details and announce a little slug is on the way. If kids want to know where offspring come from they should ask their parents.

Offline geethr75

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
Just don't describe it in the book. I'm assuming you'll be writing the book from the main protagonist's point of view, the one that was heart broken and left. If so, you wouldn't need to mention the accidental pregnancy at all. Leave her reasons mysterious. And if she ever has to reveal it, just say it like the jerk she liked married someone else. That should be enough. Show her reactions, her pain, and don't reveal the reasons.

Offline Heartsong

• View Profile
    • The Spirit Within Poetry
To be honest it doesn't read like a children's book. May I ask, why you aren't writing the book as an adult book? Then you could continue writing along the same line, without worrying about whether or not what you are writing/or have written is appropriate for children. Either way good luck with your book.   Jan