Author Topic: Off to Jersey...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Off to Jersey...
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
My partner Jayne and I have just booked a short-break holiday in Jersey in April. We're staying at a place called the Samares Coast Hotel in St Clements Bay.

It'll be the first time I've been to Jersey, though Jayne has been there once before on a family holiday XX years ago! Anyway, we're both really looking forward to it. I just wondered if any other members of the forum had been to Jersey themselves, and if so whether they had any recommendations of things to see/visit/do during our stay there?

Btw, for non-Brits, I should perhaps mention that Jersey is one of the Channel Islands, part of the UK but actually nearer to France. It is best known for being the only part of the UK to be occupied by the Germans during WW2, and more recently as the location for the long-running TV cop show Bergerac featuring John Nettles!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Off to Jersey...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:08:25 PM »
Hi Nick,

I'm madly jealous. When I was working in London a long, long, loooooooooooooooong time ago, I took a week and escaped to Jersey on a whim. I had the most wonderful, relaxing, fantastic time ever. You don't need too many recommendations - honestly. It's ALL fabulous. I hired a car and simply drove all around the coast - (beware that the cops look out for rental cars (the speed limit is about walking pace on the bigger roads!!!) - the rental cars have a special reg. and, most importantly, every alternate car on the roundabouts has priority. That's how they work.) If you get on the phone NOW, you just might be able to book a table at The Lobster Pot - the most famous fish restaurant on the island, although it might be a bit over-rated these days. I took pot luck with the restaurants and had loads of fishy meals, inexpensive and delicious. There's a place hidden in the north - called Devil's Cove, I think. It's worth the trip just for the experience of getting there!!! Give the zoo a miss - the enclosures are too small and it's depressing. The war bunkers are all fascinating and brilliantly 'exhibited'.The carnation - or tulips or something - sorry, can't remember, not a gardener (!) - farms are also worth a visit.

That's the best of what I can remember. I enjoyed the west side of the island a lot more than the east - and I didn't do too much of St. Helier 'cause I was trying to avoid too many people.

No matter what, you'll have a fantastic time!

Symphony

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:19:54 PM »
Thanks, Amanda. We're actually going half-board, so will be relying on the hotel catering in the evenings! And yes, we've hired a car, so will be travelling around a bit during the day. We'd already ear-marked the war bunkers as possibly worth a visit, so will definitely do that now. Thanks for the other tips as well.

All the best,

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline KarinaB

• People Search
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
The last time we went to Jersey I was seven months pregnant - that baby is now a strapping 12-year-old.
It didn't start well - it was stormy and I was sick on the ferry.
We also went in April but it was quite warm.
We did find that some of the sites and attractions had only just opened for the season and some were still closed.
Driving can be a bit hairy - some of the roads were quite narrow and winding.
Hope you have a great time and a good rest.