Author Topic: Help please! present/past tense  (Read 339 times)

Offline cloudymoon

Help please! present/past tense
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:38:29 PM »
Hello all, any help/advice appreciated. Below is short excerpt from my book, but I am unsure which is right:
The graves were at a small grass and moss clearing in the wood, not far from where they were now. Surrounded by fallen trees and banks of brambles, they were secluded and rarely visited; only by....
or should it be:
The graves were at a small grass and moss clearing in the wood, not far from where they were now. Surrounded by fallen trees and banks of brambles, they are secluded and rarely visited; only by.....

Or is either OK?

Many thanks

Offline Mrs N

Re: Help please! present/past tense
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Hello all, any help/advice appreciated. Below is short excerpt from my book, but I am unsure which is right:
The graves were at a small grass and moss clearing in the wood, not far from where they were now. Surrounded by fallen trees and banks of brambles, they were secluded and rarely visited; only by....
or should it be:
The graves were at a small grass and moss clearing in the wood, not far from where they were now. Surrounded by fallen trees and banks of brambles, they are secluded and rarely visited; only by.....

Or is either OK?

Many thanks

I'd pick the first. 'were' not 'are'.

Offline cloudymoon

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
Thanks Mrs N, you've confirmed what I thought. ;)

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
Coolio. 8)