Author Topic: Professional jealousy among writers  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Professional jealousy among writers
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »
See my latest blog post on this topic at the URL below...

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/08/some-thoughts-on-professional-jealousy.html

Any comments are welcome, preferably on the blog post itself.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

StrayDog

Re: Professional jealousy among writers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
It's a stressful business, some people don't deal with it well. You're right about it being rare though, thankfully.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
That's horrendous, Nick. It's so easy to say 'that's what makes life interesting' and other such, when it's not happening to YOU! People are weird, but I just never get it when your seeming 'friends' turn vindictive. It always shocks.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:49:04 AM »
Thanks, Amanda. You're right, it is pretty shocking when a 'friend' turns round and kicks you in the teeth, though thankfully it's rare. In general I expect the best from people rather than the worst, and fortunately most of the time that's how it works out.

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline ed

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/08/some-thoughts-on-professional-jealousy.html

Sorry to hear about your experiences there Nick

Yep its a sad ol world we live in, when peopel cant Cheer on the successes of others.

I want others to succeed, as I see this world as we are all ONE, if we could see that we are not seperated we wouldnt even contemplate looking to hurt another, or get jealous

This type of thing happens all around the world in various niches

Nadine L

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:27:09 PM »
Either I've been extremely lucky or am simply not bright enough to notice, but I can't think of one bad experience with my writer friends. Sorry you've run into a few bad ones.

Nadine

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
Thanks, Ed and Nadine. I've been a full-time freelance for around 20 years now, part-time longer than that. During all that time, the sort of incident I describe has only happened a handful of times, so I suppose it's not that bad really. Mostly I find fellow writers very supportive of one another. Of course, that does mean that when you have an incident such as I described, its sheer unexpectedness makes it all the more disturbing.

Wolfe

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:49:55 AM »
Oh yes ... it happens.

Wolfe

Offline bonitakale

• BKEdits: Manuscript Line Editing Service
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
Mostly I find fellow writers very supportive of one another. Of course, that does mean that when you have an incident such as I described, its sheer unexpectedness makes it all the more disturbing.

Yes, fortunately we live in a world where people are usually pretty nice to one another.  That's why it's so shocking to meet outright rudeness -- and viciousness of the type you describe is deeply painful.  It's like a natural disaster on a smaller scale; you don't forget it.
<a href="http://www.BKEdits.com/">Manuscript Line Editing at BKEdits</a>

Nadine L

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »
I've found writers more supportive of each other than the professionals in the field where I have a degree. But yes, the few writers who are "out of character" do stand out.

Wishing it is another 20 years until the next time, Nick (et al). Hugs.

Nadine

Online JanTetstone

• MWC Researcher
    • Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

Being interested in reading Nick Daws post on the URL he posted...I was disappointed when I clicked the link. I ended up using internet wayback site (jt) : 

Friday, August 22, 2008

Some Thoughts on Professional Jealousy Among Writers

I enjoyed reading this blog post recently by Mitzi Szereto. It's about 'precious' writers, and one in particular Mitzi has had dealings with recently. Judging from the number of comments the post has attracted, it's struck a chord with more than a few readers.

The post made me think of another unattractive characteristic displayed by a few writers. That's professional jealousy towards another writer or writers, which in turn can lead to backstabbing and worse.

I've experienced this a few times in my career, so I thought I'd share a couple of instances here...

The first happened a few years ago. It concerns another writer whom I'll call Mary. We originally met when I became a contributor to a newsletter she was then editing. Later she went freelance and we kept in touch. We were both able to put some work the other's way, which is something I always like to do.

Anyway, a client for whom I had written a correspondence course was looking for someone to act as a tutor on it. I didn't fancy doing this myself, so I recommended Mary for the job. At first all went well, and she was earning a steady if not spectacular monthly income from the work. I assumed she was quite happy with this.

But, though I didn't know it at the time, resentment towards me was obviously building up in her. This culminated when she wrote a letter to my client pointing out what she felt were a few shortcomings in my course, and suggesting he scrap it and hire her to write a new one. At the same time, she started putting snide comments in the feedback she was giving to students, causing several raised eyebrows.

Fortunately I had - and still have - a great working relationship with the client concerned. He copied all the relevant correspondence (both Mary's letter to him and some student complaints about her) to me. We agreed that in the circumstances there was no way either of us could go on working with her, so my client told Mary that her services were no longer required. We found someone else to take over as course tutor - actually someone who had taken the course herself - and she is still doing the job today. No prizes, then, for seeing who came out of this situation worst.

My other example is more recent. A fellow writer I have known for many years and recommended to others on various occasions took it upon himself to 'expose' me on someone else's blog. I can't remember all the details now, but among other things he criticized me for claiming to be a local celebrity and saying I had a lot of holidays (both, incidentally, things written about me by a publisher rather than me personally). Yes, it really was that petty!

This is, by the way, someone about whom I'd never previously written a bad word, and have even recommended in this blog (and still do in the relevant archived post - I wouldn't be so petty as to delete it). I can only assume his action was brought on by professional jealousy, arising from frustration that his own writing hasn't achieved the recognition he thinks it deserves. But clearly, I won't be recommending him or his websites in future.

On a brighter note, these are isolated incidents. Most of the other writers I have met during my career, for all their little foibles, would never dream of backstabbing a fellow writer in this way. This applies especially in regard to my forum at www.mywriterscircle.com. I am pleased to say that we have a growing core (corps?) of writers who will go out of their way to help other members, and genuinely rejoice in their successes. This in turn has resulted in many collaborations, joint ventures, publishing projects, and so on.

So while professional jealousy is a particularly unattractive quality in writers, I hope and believe that it is a rare one. But what do you think? I'd love to hear about YOUR experiences!

Labels: writing

Nick at 7:09 AM

http://web.archive.org/web/20080830004104/http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2008/08/some-thoughts-on-professional-jealousy.html