Author Topic: Keeping track of timelines  (Read 474 times)

Offline Aviola

Keeping track of timelines
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

My first novel pretty much just followed the two main characters, so keeping the timings of events in order was pretty simple.
The story I'm working on now is meant to be more of an ensemble, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for assembling it all?

Thanks

Offline Mark T

• Global Moderator
Re: Keeping track of timelines
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »

Transitions can be tricky to handle well consistently. Broadly, one thought is to give the reader due credit by not overwriting or being too telly when making a leap.   

Offline geethr75

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
What I do is I open an excel file where I have different sheets for all the different characters, places, clothes, events, timelines and whatever else I may need to keep track of during my writing. It helps me keep everything straight. 

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
I'm old school on this.  I use proper paper Post-It notes, or bigger bits of paper with the relevant bullet points and have them stuck on a wall where I can see them at a glance.  At the house I had a 4' x 2' whiteboard.  It was a glorious mix of Post-Its and dry-wipe notes and arrows.

This was to the right of my chair, so it was just out of sight when I was working, to avoid distraction, but all I had to do to check something was turn my head.

In the bungalow I have shelves there, but I'll be buying a big board which I can lean against them.

I am a great believer in notes on walls, and doors.  I do have the advantage of living alone, so can do pretty much as I want.

If the expense of a big whiteboard is a problem then a sheet of thin whitefaced hardboard will do, provided you don't leave the dry-wipe messages on there for too long in the sunshine.  When it gets too stained just replace it.

Or use a large paper flip chart hanging on the back of a door.  Most people don't think to utilise their door space ;-)  Think big and write big, it makes life easier.

It can also help to have a physical timeline marked up on a long strip of paper, with branches leading off to short notes.  This will highlight if a particular section is getting too congested, or looking too sparse.  (If you write some scenes out of sequence then cut and paste them into the story this can help make sure they don't appear after they're dead or before they were born.)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:27:57 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline AngelaKinsey52

• hire someone to write your paper
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:19:08 AM »
By utilizing an online project management software, you can quickly track and execute planned activities, plan timeline, and keep your eye on ...

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:59:27 AM »
Please note:  The above post s just a piece of puff designed to make you click on the link.  The link leads to one of those damned essay writing service for students who are either too thick, 'too busy', or so accustomed to 'cheating' in computer games that they see nothing wrong in paying someone else to do their work for them.

QUOTE:  Get the best offers for essays going as low as $12.99/page
Do you hesitate in subscribing to an online writing service just because it is too expensive? Do you believe that the current online writing businesses are just making unreasonable profits? Or ever wonder of who can write an essay for me at cheap rates?

No, Angela, I don't wonder any of the above.  But my bullshit detector works just fine.

The whole idea of any college or university course is that you learn the skills for yourself, to show you have at least an adequate grasp of the subject and the work involved.

A certificate on your wall is worthless unless you've earned it properly.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: Today at 04:06:48 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1