Author Topic: Very new to this  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Lobanegra

Very new to this
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »
Hi everyone I'm VERY new to writing meaning aside form school Ive never written anythig before. I have started a novel but now I'm getting lost and don't know how to move my plot along. Do I state my plot in the begining or do I try to move it to the middle? Should I introduce just a few people or all of them? How do I not sound like all the books I've read? I would love some help on this.

Stefanie

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
Re: Very new to this
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:38:40 AM »
 Some people make an outline of their plot to keep from gettting lost.

you don't need to state the plot. just let it dribble along with the dialogue and action- let the reader be watching, eager to try and figure out where you are going next.

characters can be introduced a bit at a time, or all at once, like in a party.

Let your writing flow, and you probably will sound like you, not like others.  Also, you can change how it sounds in the rewrite- just get it on paper to start with.
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline mccpcorn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:49:22 AM »
Yeah, an essay plan is always a good way to kick the ball rolling, although you should not worry about keeping to it ridgedly.  It should be a guide, not a stick.

Best thing to do would be to think about a few aspects:

- What characters you want to introduce
- Any key early events you need to happen and when
- How characters may meet.

In my experience you should never try to plan everything out.  Try the first few chapters, then let it roll.  If you start getting bogged down again, rinse and repeat with a new plan.

Offline Angeleyes

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:55:26 PM »
Hello Lobanegra. I'm very much in the same boat. I have just completed my first novel. I found that I had a rough idea what I wanted to happen and how it would end, then just sat and wrote it. Sometimes a character would appear from nowhere, so I just went with the flow. Some things worked and some needed scrapping. I think I sat and wrote for at least an hour every night,(after kids went to bed) In all it took about 3 months for me to complete because it's not very long (42500 words..ish)  Anyway, now I'm 'editing' it with the help of people on this forum. It's been a real learning curve! But I'm lovin' it!!

I didn't work on it unless I was in the mood. So don't feel like you have a deadline, just relax, and enjoy yourself! I know I do! ;)

Ann.
May all your dreams come true.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
-Henry Ford.

Offline Gltagaman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »
Hi Lobanegra

Some authors work ad lib with their novels, just letting characters appear dependeing upn the muse. Some of those authors are sucessfull.

For myself I started with a brief synopsis, a character list and a profile for each major character in the novel. My list now includes those characters who just walk on, say or do something, and leave - never to reappear and totals 90 characters. I ckecj the list to make surethat I don't repeat the names or have two close togeher sounding alike.

It's all part of the learning experience.

Good luck

Geoff
Have Thinkpad will write