Author Topic: Advice for a critique partner  (Read 235 times)

Offline S.J.Caskey

• View Profile
Advice for a critique partner
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »
I've been critiquing work for some time now. Both online and in person at a local critique group. I recently offered to help a woman in a group I am in and I am having some issues I am hoping I can receive wisdom about. Her writing definitely needs work. It's extremely difficult to read or decipher what is going on. All the issues she has to work on are not the problem, though. She is inconsiderate (if that is even the right word to describe it).
The work clearly hasn't been revised. In any fashion. I stopped reading her first draft and requested (politely) she tighten up some of the work and instead of sending me the revised work, she messaged saying she had sent 18 new pages. Imagine my surprise upon opening the document and discovering it was 100 new pages of completely unrevised work that was already challenging to critique.
She gave a few other critiquers some serious attitude when they mentioned that her work was difficult to read. Which was kind of a turn off for me as we are all volunteering.

This woman has an interesting premise and I want to help her, but I'm really turned off by her behaviour and lack of consideration for her critiquers.

How on earth do I politely let this woman go without making her feel bad?