Author Topic: HELP  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Aly

HELP
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
I have the idea but I don't know how to go about it. I would be most grateful for any suggestions about how to write this book.

Since 1974 my husband and I have lived in almost 90 abodes - houses, flats, boats, caravans, pubs all over the UK as well as North & South Cyprus, Crete, Cos to name but a few!!! We have had a wide variety of businesses & jobs and lots of ups and downs. And with all the characters we've met along the way, I feel sure I have the ingredients for a great book.

Do I write a purely factual account or would it be better to make it into a novel based on a true story.

I admit to being a complete novice so I think I'll be using this Writers Circle quite a lot.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Aly
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 02:36:25 PM by Symphony »

Carter Stelling

Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:25:26 PM »
My opinion would be to make it a novel based on a true story. Because people love reading stories for entertainment, they read factual accounts mainly for education. So think of whether you want to entertain... or educate... if you decide to entertain, don't forget to throw in a lot of the adventure and romance you experienced... that's what makes a story truly exciting, because they are the deepest desires of every human heart.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:45:27 PM »
Hello Aly - and welcome to the site from your forum moderators Nick, Aelf, Suzie, Lin and myself.

Apologies - first of all - for changing the colour of your message, but I actually couldn't read it - the pink was too faint (some of these colours work better than others for writing on the screen!)

Anyway - delighted to see you here. You obviously have lots of questions - don't be afraid to post them all on the All the Write Questions or the other writing threads. I'm going to paste your main question here onto the right board so that people will read it. Not everybody comes in to say 'hello' on the Welcome Board. I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions in due course.

Meanwhile, feel free to browse around and don't forget to try the muffins in the Coffee Shop - they're delicious!!!

Symphony

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »
hehehe - Suzie's done it again - back to the Twilight Zone   ;D

p.s. and for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about ... Suzie actually managed to move this topic WHILE I WAS TYPING THE ABOVE POST!!! Freaky, eh??

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 02:48:03 PM by Symphony »

SuzieHarris

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 03:25:38 PM »
Symph,

Must be my magic finger, lol

We have the same ideas at the same time and that IS spooky, don't you think?

Suzie

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »
Aly,
Since your stories take place in so many times and places, you might try writing a few as short stories to get started.  You will probably find it easier to write the first ones as fiction based on a true experience. ; That way you can fictionalize anything you don't remember clearly, yet keep the truth in the story.  Also you can hide identities, which might keep you out of legal trouble later.

orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
Orchid - I think that's a great idea. Aly, why not take a 'scene' from your pub, one from your caravan, one from somewhere else - and try and write a number of stories. You might find a common thread (fictional or otherwise) appearing which you could latch on to in order to 'build' a longer story or novel?

Symphony

Offline Mini

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:59 AM »
Hi Aly,

Writing short stories is a great way of disciplining your writing . It can also be good fun.

If you do choose to write some short stories first, and want to get them published, beware of copywrites. You don't want to sell a short story and loose copywrite for anything you need for your novel.

Mini

Offline Aly

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 11:34:12 AM »
Many thanks to all who have replied so far - My present train of thought is to make each "Home" into one story or chapter. Obviously some would be much longer than others. The common thread would be the fact that my husband and I have been through it all together - not a bad feat in this day and age!!!
I also think fiction based on true experiences would probably be the best way forward.
Your comments would be much appreciated.

Second major question.....
How to publish? I read that the best way is to find a literary agent, who for 15%, will find a publisher for you.
I also read that you can sell you book before writing it by sending a short synopsis and a sample chapter. Is this so???

Looking forward to hearing from anyone. Many thanks, Aly

Offline Anitadee

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:24:01 PM »
Hi Aly,
I think you have the right Idea writing a chapter for each 'Home' but I would free write each chapter without thinking of size of chapters etc. Once you have written your adventures/experiences and feelings. Then You will know what is the best format.
 I personally think you will find you will be working towards a novel. I like the idea of a novel based on a true story so you can change names and add colour to your story.
This is the kind of story I would like to read. You can post your early drafts for comments and will receive all the help you need here.
A good synopsis could indeed sell you book before you have written it.
Wishing you every success.
anitadee