Author Topic: Leaving MWC  (Read 425 times)

Artemis Quark

Leaving MWC
« on: December 30, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
It breaks my heart to leave this circle but the latest barrage of spam, including offensive Blocked-like titles has pushed me over the edge. Moderators are powerless to remove this filth now that the new owners have made changes for the worse. The Circle has become a downward spiral. A real shame.

A fresh start with old friends.

Sincerely,

AQ
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:27:20 AM by JameelaM »

Jo Bannister

Re: Leaving MWC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
I think we all feel the same way.  What a pity.

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

He deleted his account
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
See you on the other side, AQ.  :-*
ďThere is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.Ē ― Maya Angelou

ďDon't be like the rest of them, darling.Ē ― Eudora Welty

Offline hillwalker3000

• Now officially a 'dude'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:07:32 AM »
Same here. Time to take it off my 'Favourites' taskbar. The spammers have been allowed to take over.

H3K

Offline Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »
Last one out, turn off the light eh?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:25:40 AM »

Hm. Just been through every board on the site and only saw one piece of spam, on the Welcome board. Hm. 

Offline hillwalker3000

• Now officially a 'dude'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:07 AM »
They must have had a clear out. Last week, every single new post or reply was spam.

H3K

JameelaM

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Sorry to see you go Artemis, we greatly appreciate your contribution to the forum over the years and hope that you find a home here once again in the future.

I spent a few hours yesterday and today to clear out all the spam, we also put even more security measures in place to minimize the amount of spam that shows up, according to the logs this is working and most of the spam is being blocked but as with all forums some does get thru and we just need to keep a watchful eye.

Thanks for your comments and we appreciate each and every one of you for being a part of this community!

Jameela

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Does this mean the moderators can now remove spam from the site once again Jameela?

Offline Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
In the end we still dont know whats happening here right?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
Nope and you can ask till you're blue in the face and you won't get a straight or honest answer Richard

JameelaM

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
Does this mean the moderators can now remove spam from the site once again Jameela?

Fire-fly, I'm waiting on a reply back from the dev team on this, I have raised the question, in the meantime I'm checking daily to remove spam posts and we are still tweaking the security to prevent such posts from overrunning the community.

We appreciate your patience as we work thru these challenges.

Thanks!

Offline matty11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
Fire-fly, I'm waiting on a reply back from the dev team on this, I have raised the question, in the meantime I'm checking daily to remove spam posts and we are still tweaking the security to prevent such posts from overrunning the community.

We appreciate your patience as we work thru these challenges.

Thanks!

That's a time consuming, thankless job, since spam is automated. Wouldn't it be better to switch off the automated registration? Use time to activate only genuine registration?

A reply on the registration process used on another site:

It is a bit time consuming but not too bad. Some names are obviously spam and I donít bother to investigate further. Generally speaking any real person will email if Iíve missed them so I donít worry too much. Itís far easier than being swamped as we have in the past by bots and spam.

best

matty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGOCTIZI9vc

JameelaM

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
Hi Matty,

Thanks for your comments and yes, it is time consuming but necessary at this time.

We don't allow automated sign ups, there is a verification in place (new sign ups get a verification email that they have to click in order to log in for the first time) and we have a captcha in place, so we have all the usual security measures in place, which is why the influx of spam and inappropriate posts is a bit of a head scratcher at this time.

I'm working directly with the dev team each day to monitor the situation, and according to the log files there is a huge amount of spammers being blocked, so we are definitely moving in the right direction, we just have a few more holes to patch up before I can confidently say we're all good.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, and I do apologize for not being able to address these concerns in a timely fashion.
Jameela