Author Topic: Opinions, please!  (Read 2247 times)

Telcontar

Opinions, please!
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »
Hi folks,

Well, I said in my introduction that I had ideas of writing some thirty years back, but nothing came of them. Thatís not quite true, Iíve had an idea for a novel slowly fermenting in my grey matter for the last eighteen years. But the idea was killed off in 2003.

Back in 1989 I started University as a Ďmature studentí (Oxymoron or what?)
Iíd always had the opinion that, to write good science fiction, you had to know a good deal about science fact; something I felt I didnít, in spite of always having a scientific bent. However, I had recently been introduced to the delights of Magic, as supplied by Terry Pratchett. Here, in one word, was the only explanation you needed for almost anything you care to write! So combining magic, a theory in the world of physics/quantum mechanics, and my own studies in genetics, a story began to form during the many hours spent in the bar.

Unfortunately studies had to take priority, so my idea was shelved indefinitely. It eventually re-surfaced in 1998, while I was travelling around Norway. As Norway is a country severely lacking in pubs, I had a lot of time of an evening to think, and my nascent tale came back to me. I realised that I could expand it by bringing Norway in to it; I had an opening for including some recent history, as well as some Norse mythology. So for the next four years, I sporadically threw together the beginnings of my tale.

But disaster struck in 2003 when, having finally decided to ignore all the hype, I bought a DVD, and was instantly hooked on the adventures of a certain young wizard.
The story is excellent (I have already admitted to being a sad git) but I quickly realised the basic plot was too similar to my own; back to the bin for my book!

Then a couple of nights back, as I was trawling through ĎMy Documentsí in search of fishing tales to post on here, I came across it again, and got to thinking. Maybe I could find a way of reworking not so much the plot, but the basic premise of magic. I suppose I do have an infinite number of dimensions and/or Universes to play with, but it might lead to having to read more on quantum mechanics. HmmÖ

Iíve gone through the first chapter again, making a few alterations. Unfortunately itís 2700 words, but I could post it in a few pieces. What do you think? Have a look, and tell  me if you think itís worth pursuing?
 Meanwhile, Iíve posted Ďthe Suitcase re-write, Pt IIí
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline mccpcorn

Re: Opinions, please!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:50:24 AM »
I just wanted to say that your experiences mirror my own almost exactly.

When I was 17 I started work on a SF story and got to about 60 pages before it went on ice - I left the YTS and lost computer access.  I went back to the story some 7 years later in university but just couldn't make it work, so I abandoned it.

I began a new story that was far more fantasical - I termed it Science Fantasy ;) - but the science kept getting in the way, destroying the natural beauty of the story and making it clunky and boring.  (I have a strong science streak and it conflicts strongly with my imaginative 'let it all go' side.)  Besides I stumbled across 'Treasure Planet' which had similar concepts to what I was thinking on.

So I'm left with my latest idea, influenced heavily by dark fantasy stories like King's Tower series, and also anime.  This one I think will work, but I'm crafting it one word at a time.

I have a lot of early material when I had more story than plot.  Now I have more plot than story and the older material is pretty much redundant.  However it is still amazingly useful as it establishes how I want my main characters to be, some of the situations I might choose for them to encounter, and also sets the overall tone of what I want for my 'real' novel.  I just need to bear in mind that it IS just a story and I don't want to try to answer every single little question that crops up.

I will happily trade opinions with you, although my own piece is just a collection of barely interconnected segments rather than complete chapters.

Offline prophetcharlesb

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:36:37 AM »
Back in 1989 I started University as a Ďmature studentí (Oxymoron or what?)
  I think it is both, an Oxymoron, or a what.

Which brings to mind the definition of a hippie. Looks like Tarzan, walks like Jane and smells like Cheeta.

Whether it was  the Oxymoron or the what that brought that to my mind, I have no idea.

Hey I must be on a roll, it just came to me that there may be a book here. "The Oxymoron or What"
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline Lobanegra

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 12:58:12 AM »
One of the reasons I chose to write fiction is beacuse it's just that....fiction. I feel that when I'm reading or writing I can make up most of stuff that I don't know. It's always good to have facts but in a story you can make those facts. If you want people to walk on water they can, if you want vampires to be real they are, thats whats great about fiction. In most of my stories the places are mostly factual but the rest of the facts are what I say they are. That's one of the things I love about writing.

Stefanie   

katinka

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
This is great, love reading this. I started writing at 10 years of age, walked around with pen and paper in hand, needing to write. An old professor told me, no matter what you do in life don't ever stop writing. I did just that, I stopped writing.
I won't tell you how many years later I finally don't care anymore what I ought to do but am coming back to square one. Writing is a gift and I have gifts that I have used, one being an artist, a secondary gift but nothing is more predominant in my reservoir as expressing with words. So, here goes, my second novel and I'm beginning to blossom. WRITE WITH ALL YOUR HEART if you have the gift of words. Don't ever imitate, it's a killer. In art you never express anything until you stop caring what others do. If it is in you it will come through loud and clear only if there is no blockage and then it is REAL.