Author Topic: Hello  (Read 516 times)

Offline glasogowpoet

• View Profile
Hello
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
Hey all,

New here and only had one post so far.

I've only written one poem so far and I wrote it in a very emotional state,
I want to work on it and improve on it but I'm finding it hard to write it now I'm no longer in the same state as I was,
Any advice?

Offline Tom 10

• View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
Hello,
I read your poem and there is some passion/ emotion in it.  My sense is that it felt good to get it out.  that's the way it is sometimes with writing.  Sometimes what comes out is good writing, sometimes it is just a personal thing.  There are tools a writer uses to try to better communicate the experience. 

If you liked the writing part, and am not sure what to do next, I have two suggestions.  Start writing every day.  don't worry about what you are writing, and don't plan on sharing any of it - just write.  5 minutes, 20 minutes, whatever you have.  Let your mind wander and jot your thoughts down.  You will become more comfortable with getting stuff out.

Second, read poetry.  Lots of poetry.  Tip-toe through lots of different kinds of poetry - some will seem like muck and some might strike a chord.  You will know which ones to keep reading. 

Poem-a-Day is a great resource - just log on - https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem-day - for the poem, or you can set it up to be emailed to your inbox each day.  There are some tremendously good poems I never would have seen without that service, and some tremendously good poets as well.  Google will take you anywhere for poems as well.  Then there is the bookstore, I suppose. :)

That's my $.02 -- write something and read a poem or two every day.  If it seems like you are finding poems you like, your writing may start sounding more like poetry.  Just saying.   :)

graphophobia

Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:07:11 PM »
Hello and welcome glasogowpoet :)