Author Topic: Moral maze  (Read 1512 times)

Offline bailish

• View Profile
Re: Moral maze
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
Every time I read about a character making a decision different from what I would have made, I question myself. Do I make the right decisions? Should I consider changing my decision in such cases in the future?

I wouldn't say those characters are changing the world, but they might change how I fit into the world.

Dansinger

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
Yes, people do sometimes assume that I must be like some of my characters.  If that makes them treat me with a bit more caution than they would otherwise, then that's a bonus ;-)

I could live with that too.  ;D

graphophobia

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 03:39:07 PM »
I think civilisation is a very thin veneer, and morals are a very subjective thing. Everyone is good and everyone is evil, to a lesser or greater extent. I think things like circumstance and the likelihood of being held accountable dictate which side of you has the greater influence, so I prefer stories which reflect that. The 'bad' guy is equally capable of doing good, the good guy is not as good as he seems.  That's just real life, in my experience. I don't think it's glamourising badness, it's just telling it like it is, and that, I believe, is a writers only real responsibility.