Author Topic: Sticky: Flash Fiction #131, --  (Read 787 times)

Offline bailish

Sticky: Flash Fiction #131, --
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
Flash Fiction #131

Write a story that takes place during the holiday season. Any topic, any genre.
You could write, for example, something endearing about the family sitting around the burning hearth. Or someone's desperate attempt to make it home in time for Christmas.

500 words or less

Since this is the holidays and people may want more time off, I'd like to move the deadline to next year, if that's all right.

Due Date: Jan 7, 2018

-------------------------

Pm your responses to me :   bailish

Just click on my name, choose 'send PM'. Put the title of your story, in the subject box and cut and paste your story in the text box.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:24:14 PM by bailish »

Offline bailish

Re: Sticky: Flash Fiction #131, --
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
In the hopes of inspiring submissions, I've put together a few fragments of mine. Feel free to plagiarize borrow these.

On the fence in each other's arms, we exhaled small frozen clouds, experiencing the white hush of the snow-covered ground. I tightened my arm around her shoulder and tilted my chin for a perfect kiss, the world disappearing in that eternal moment.

My car nosed its way through the flurries, the wheels skidding on the hairpin turns. How ironic for the holiday trip home to be so wrought with danger.

The doorbell rang. I rushed downstairs, knowing Mom would be panicking in the kitchen.
"Merry Christmas," the family of four standing outside the door said in unison.
I recognized my Aunt Hazel and Uncle Griffin in spite of their matching Christmas bells sweaters, but my cousins, Charlotte and Knox, had a few years' growth since our last meeting. My smile remained plastered on my face as we all hugged and I ushered them to our living room. Mom and Dad came from different directions to continue the hugs and greetings. As the adults caught up on their gossip, I took Charlotte and Knox upstairs.
Needing to say something appropriate in my position as hostess, I opted for the obvious. "So, you all have matching sweaters."
Charlotte, about my age, grimaced and said, "Yes."
Knox, a few years younger, glared at me. "I doubt the orange outfit for prisoners attracts more attention than these."
"Now, you two," I said. "Holidays are for mothers. You're making her happy to make up for all the problems she's had to correct for you throughout the year."

Offline Vienna

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
A really interesting challenge. What puts me off all these challenges is the always increasing deadlines. Who knows maybe next time.

Cheers richard
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline bailish

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »
Vienna,
I can tell you from personal experience the deadlines are pushed back because no one submits. It's hard to find a contest that inspires. I gave a longer deadline because the holidays are usually bad for participating. Why don't you prove me wrong and submit? Certainly you have something lying around that can be modified for the holiday season.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:01:44 AM »
Indeed had the deadline been shorter i had an idea, however by the time the deadline has passed i have usually forgotten what i entered. I am as busy as the next person (or even busier) so i reckon “the holiday period” is simply an excuse. I guess i am also as lazy as the next too  ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline bailish

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
One more week to go, folks! There's already one submission, so there will be a winner this time.

Pm your responses to me :   bailish

Dansinger

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »
I was going to, but I'm out of here, so no use entering a challenge and run the risk of winning it. Sorry.