Author Topic: The Church, Marv Davidov and Art  (Read 723 times)

Offline Tom 10

The Church, Marv Davidov and Art
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:22:08 PM by Tom 10 »

Offline indar

Re: The Church, Marv Davidov and Art
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »
As I understand this site the workshop is for examining the dots and squiggles, agreeing tenses and double modifiers. The Review is for commenting on content. We seem to do it all on Review. This is such an extraordinary piece of writing I think it should be published--maybe even nominated for the Pushcart. Having said that thank you for sharing it here. I hope posting it on Review doesn't  hurt future chances of a larger audience.

I had to google Marv Davidov I'm sorry tp say but I remember the events he was involved in quite well of course. During those earlier activist times I was convinced that a new day was dawning--that the country was moving toward a more perfect union and democracy would prevail as never before.

I could cry right now thinking about what has happened

I understand the loosening of laws as the ancient teaching against legalism as morality. And that goes hand in hand with the small acts done for the least of us in a parking lot from a soup pot under a tent.

S3 and that loosening of the laws enables us to accept the plurality of beliefs in a community that somehow keeps the faith--if only in one another.

Oh the burning bush. Isn't that how all the legalism got started in the first place?  I assume the catching fire here is a new way to apprehend mystery (spirit) through positive action

I wish I could share the optimism of the final stanza. I'm only commenting off a second read I will come back to this one many times.

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
Thanks Indar.  Your comments are very kind toward the poem.   Its origin is in the prompt we discussed on another thread.   :)  There are a hundred directions it could have gone.  Perhaps this would have been a good prompt for a poetry challenge.

I'm not concerned about 'tainting' my poetry by sharing it at MWC.  The notions of 'previously published' are antiquated, and its just a matter of time before they catch up with the digital age.

Cheers.

T

Offline DTF

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
I just wish I could write like this . this is great

Offline matty11

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
hi Tom

I can't say I'm keying into the contexts to find meaning here. I googled the activist, but is there a related artwork? Either way the surface had me reading: the thread of brush/rush/bushes; that mix of oscillating textures; the closing simile of insecure god. Maybe the rhyme cluster of hot/lot/shot could be watered down?

best

matty

The Church, Marv Davidov
and Art

Deified by dynamic brush strokes,
a wide color palette undergirding
oscillating textures, laws will
loosen their stricture.

The add-ons are low-key:
a tent in a tarmac parking lot,
voter registration, a flu-shot
and a hot meal.  No questions. 

We pray later, he says, if that’s
what we want, but don’t expect
to understand – and even so,
we still need to stand together.

If we stack the boxes,
or ladle gravy, or keep safe
for ourselves only two sweaters
the bushes may catch fire.

Dazzling, the rush –
paint across the canvas,
words through the megaphone,
the swirling licks leaping
like wildfire, encircling –
like the arms of a sculptor
around a needy planet.

Like the arms of an
insecure god.

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks DTF - I appreciate your reading this and commenting.

Matty - the context of this poem is the Congregational Church of US - now confederated as the United Church of Christ - UCC.  It is a progressive, pro-human church.  Social conscience/social justice is part of the calling, as is the notion that we celebrate humanness. On another thread I learned that Indar had been a member of the Plymouth Congo church in Mpls when she lived there - that church has over 2,000 members and is big in supporting the arts.  I opined on that thread that a swirl of religion/sprituality,  social activism, and art may provide a heady brew for poetry thoughts.  That was the prompt for this poem. Hope that helps.  I will review the sonics as you suggest. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Offline indar

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »
Art historians like to credit art for being the dissenting voice in societal trends in "the wrong direction" So, not only is this poem a comment on that line of thought it is an actual example of art-at-work ;D

Offline Mark T

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »

S1 has me grasping... can't really reconcile directly even with the exposition but the rest carries itself well. Some probing thoughts, reflections on the subject matter. It is a heady mixture and the intent sounds noble - long may the tribe of Congos increase.

Offline duck

• The best laid plans of mice and men turn to ...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
Hi Tom
As so oftren in you poems, so much to admire, be enthralled by and sometimes even much work to do. It took me a while to warm to the poem and grasp the line or lines of thought. The cultural background and the religious background are exceptionally alien to mebutot beyond comprehension or acceptace.There is no country in the world it seems, except Northern Ireland,where the same religion/God and essential denominations can divide and be divided as in the USA. It is fascinating how the core individualism of American society plays into the religious belief.
The painting metaphor works well for me now that I can grasp where it comes from and goes. However, in the first S the mixed senses are hard work - deified (spiritualism/imagination), paletter (paints and a softness of texture plus colour so a mix of visual and touch), undergirding (engineering, hardness and steel - so can't quite make paint undergird in my mind) followed by iscillating ( a word that tends towards sound waves - so sound). Maybe I am being picky but the images lack an essential unity although their message is complete.

I would introduce 'we' early as S 2 seems to float in from somewhere else, a poet narrator who was not there, while in the next stanzas he/she clearly was there. Then it is finally with the word canvas that it becomes clear this is history and the sweep of social and religious activity and meaning that is being addressed.

A good poem on a valuable and important issue. Thanks for the fascinating read
Dave