Author Topic: Question about Synopsis writing  (Read 679 times)

Offline AJ Trelawny

• View Profile
Question about Synopsis writing
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
Hey guys.
Me again....
Question about writing a synopsis this time.

How do you guys structure them?
I am thinking along the lines of writing a succinct play by play of the main story line then write about additional sub plots separately.  Is this a wise option or should it really all be together?
Many thanks, I look forward to reading your input.

Jo Bannister

Re: Question about Synopsis writing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
A lot depends on the reason you're writing the synopsis.  Is it part of your sales pitch?  Or is it more of a road-map for you to refer to during your journey through your book?

If the former, don't over-complicate it.  Give your agent/publisher a story outline, an idea of the destination and a taste of the characters.  If they want to see more, they'll say.  Burden them with a blow-by-blow account and they probably won't read it.

If the latter, it comes down to what sort of a writer you are.  Do you like to know exactly where you're heading before you set off?  Or do you want to make discoveries along the way?

I work with a loose story framework but feel free to alter it, sometimes drastically, as I go along.  Occasionally I think that, since I always change it, I can do without the framework altogether - but I always regret it.

Offline AJ Trelawny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
Thankyou.
It's for a submission to a publisher.

I think what I'm struggling with is shrinking my 50k words into 2 pages (double spaced). Hehe.

To be fair, I think it's probably more of a practice excersise because I'm not convinced I meet the criteria of under represented writer. Though I have to get my first No from somewhere.😂

Thanks again for your input x

hillwalker3000

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:26:38 AM »
Each publisher tends to ask for different things, but in most cases a synopsis should be no more than 750 words. It doesn't have to be a blurb, and it doesn't need to be presented like a sales pitch. A synopsis is usually part of the submission package - your cover letter, first 2 or 3 chapters for example, and the synopsis that reveals what the story is about. If you check on-line there are lots of sites that offer advice on how to craft your synopsis, but at the end of the day the agent/publisher will be looking at the saleability of the plot and your skill as a writer to condense an entire novel into a nutshell.

H3K

Offline AJ Trelawny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
I have managed to condense the story and it's unique selling points into just over 2 pages. I know have to work on losing those three extra pesky lines.
Hmm, tricky stuff.

Thanks for the advice x