Author Topic: Keyboards.  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Keyboards.
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
The keyboard is your main interface with your computer.  As such it's a good idea to look after it, and make sure it does what you want and not what some johnny-come-lately 'improver or enhancer' thinks it should do.

There are some wondrous keyboards out there, for special needs or purposes, but I like to keep mine simple.

Let's face it, my main use for a keyboard is for entering text.  My main use for any computer is storing and manipulating (editing) text.  Even after all these years it is, most of the time, a typewriter with a memory and a few useful layout tricks.  That's it.  Therefore I have no real use for anything with fancy buttons and a whole plethora of shortcuts looking for a problem to solve.

The day may come when it is cheaper - or even a better option in terms of power or speed - to buy a laptop.  But when it does I'll still be plugging in a full sized USB keyboard to use it at a desk.

I also don't want to become a hostage to fortune by using a wireless keyboard or mouse.  The gods of chance dictate that no matter how careful I am the battery will run out when it is impossible to get hold of a replacement.

So my requirements are for a simple keyboard, and a simple mouse.  Both corded. 

For me this has come down to the Logitech K120 with a USB cable.  It has a decent feel, which is important when you use it a lot.  I like a springy response, not the dead-keys feel.  Mine has a UK layout, which is subtly different from the US layout.  I know some people claim they can use both with equal facility, but I have no intention of trying to find out.  Why complicate life?

Continuity and familiarity are important to me.  Which is why I have three brand new K120s in reserve, all tested and then sealed back into their boxes, in the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet.   (I got a good deal on a bulk purchase, and they're not expensive anyway.) They may well last me the rest of my life.

The time may come when I have to use some kind of adaptor between the USB plug and whatever the future holds, but it's a pretty safe bet such adaptors will exist.  Reverse compatibility for dinosaurs is a profitable market ;-)

By the time I have to move to Win 10 there will be utilities available to make it behave more like Win 7 Pro for the old diehards, and I will turn off everything I don't need so it can't be triggered by mistake. 

Speaking of which I have physically disabled two unwanted buttons on my keyboard.  I have a little wedge of high density foam under the Caps Lock key and the Insert key.  They can still be pressed down for use if need be, with a little extra effort, but they don't get turned on by mistake.

I have a fourth spare keyboard which comes out for a while whenever I need to de-crud the current keyboard, or re-do the letters.  It's also the same make and model so it feels perfectly familiar.

Beard hairs, and possibly those from my arms and hands, tend to get under the keys eventually.  Servicing a familiar keyboard is easy enough once you've done it a few times.

So there you are, my version of future proofing.

Likewise my internet connection.  A solid reliable cable.  I have wi-fi for family and friends who visit and whom I entrust with the password.  I've never used it.  My tame geek assures me it's locked down nice and tight and checks it periodically for me.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:11:32 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
I used an ergonomic keyboard for a while.

I have nothing but laptops for years now. Probably more than a decade. But I still have a full keyboard plugged into my laptop when it is at home and on my desk.

Mostly, I hate the touch pad thing. I used to be able to disable it and just use my mouse, which I also have. But ASUS decided I needed to always have the ^*&(*(*^% touch pad active. I will never buy another ASUS just for this reason. Also, the shift key on the right is really stupid. It is extra long and only has one point of depression sensor. So with my delicate woman hands, touching just the inside edge of the shift key doesn't make it %$%^&*(*  shift. Another reason to never buy an ASUS.

However, my wireless keyboard and mouse work well.

I bought a small folding transportable bluetooth keyboard for my tablet making it possible to really write while I was in Europe this year. It worked great. It's smaller and not perfect, but so much better than the keyboard thingy that comes with a tablet which if you hover too close thinks you typed.

I can type with my laptop on a lap board, and then there is no room for my real keyboard. But I don't do it very often because it's irritating when the whole thing wobbles.

Mostly, when I type, I'm at my desk and using a real keyboard despite having a mobile computer which travels around with me when I need it to do so.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:18:10 PM by Spell Chick »
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »
Someone who has figured out how to get the best of both worlds.

I just get fed up with hearing people complain about how crap their laptop is when they've spent a fortune on it and won't learn to make it work for them instead of vice versa.  It's the tool and you're the boss.  Once you start adapting to suit the tools you're doomed.

Mostly, I hate the touch pad thing. I used to be able to disable it and just use my mouse, which I also have.

I can type with my laptop on a lap board, and then there is no room for my real keyboard. But I don't do it very often because it's irritating when the whole thing wobbles.

Friends and family are divided on the touch pad thingy.  They either swear by it or at it.  I guess some people just have a feel for it.

I used to be able to type with a portable manual typewriter on my lap, but it was heavy enough to be pretty stable.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
I have my first desk top in years. I don't like it but it serves its purpose. The screen is Acer, which is the brand of my previous laptops and I won't buy again, the keypad is Microsoft and the tower is some other name so none match. I had this one made. I don't play games or download music etc, I come on her and surf the net.

We have another laptop to take on holidays for downloading photos, it's a Dell. Brett had a Dell computer that never missed a beat, for 12 years and seeing as the lappy isn't an every day computer, we figured why spend a fortune. So we turn it on and it blows a mother board, go figure.

I adapt well to each windows change, for the life of my, I don't know how, I am not techie in any way shape or form.

When I had my previous lap tops, I had a proper board and mouse and sit at a desk so its much like a real computer anyway.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:28:37 AM »
I use a laptop and I love the Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard. It's so easy to type on, and I don't mind the touchpad. In fact, I'm so used to it now I'd find it weird not to have it.

I do have a Logitech K480 Bluetooth keyboard to use with my iPad and phone. It's a nifty little keyboard that's great for typing too.
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:00:39 AM »
I don't mind using the touch pad as my mouse. I mind it moving my mouse if I brush it while I'm typing. It takes up too much real estate and my mouse keeps jumping all over the damn place. So I rarely type right on the laptop keyboard. Well, that, and none of my right had letters seem to capitalize on the first go until I smash on the damn out of reach sensor for the shift key.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.