Author Topic: For the introverts amongst us. Picture.  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Simple Things

Re: For the introverts amongst us. Picture.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

I would have stole the note. :)

That was a funny read, Jo.

Offline WordBird

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
People just don't understand introverts. Here is my best analogy:

An introvert being around a bunch of chipper, loud extraverts is like being the only sober person around a bunch of drunks. After they've told you they love you a few dozen times, it really gets old.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:29:02 AM by WordBird »

Dansinger

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
I want the mug, the t-shirt and the note.

I've got a sign on  my front door reading: "No soliciting, no salesmen, no prozelytising." If people ignore the sign - as they sometimes do - I smash the door in their faces. They had been warned.

I had to give up my service dog due to too many people thinking it was OK to intrude upon my privacy because of him. I dreaded the moment I'd finally lose my last bit of self-control and and run them over with my wheelchair, which was only going to be a matter of time.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
I can be the life and soul of the party sometimes, on my own terms, but once that time is over I need to be left alone.

I remember at my Grandaughter's Christening I suddenly needed to be peaceful for a while, but it was raining like hell outside.  I found an empty sofa in the hall and lay down with my back to everyone and sent myself 'away' for a while.  A few family members arranged their chairs so no-one would just blunder in.

Up came my ex-wife.  "Is your father alright?"

"Yes," said my girls.  "He just needs a little quiet time."

"Ah yes, I remember."

Quarter of an hour later I was fine again, ready for the cake cutting and more jollity.  But if I'd forced myself to go on I'd have been distinctly 'unsociable'.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

graphophobia

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
As an introvert, I don't think there is anything I dislike more than people who just 'drop in' for a visit. I need time to mentally prepare myself to be around some people, and a knock on the door just doesn't cut it.  People I've just been introduced to who want to hug (why has this become such a THING!!!) come a very close second. Also, people who call me by the shortened version of my name when I've only just met them. Please, extroverts, just go and stand over there while I quietly decide if I like you enough to interact.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
When someone I've just met, with the very occasional exception, asks "What do your friends call you?" I have a stock reply.  "If you stay around long enough to become one I'll let you know.  But until then I'm Mister to you."

It pulls them up short.  Most just see it as a polite if somewhat over-formal warning shot, establishing territorial rights, but some get really upset.  Which is their problem, not mine.

I've had so many nicknames over the years that those who really know me can figure out which part of my life people come from by the names they use.  But Gyppo was my label long before the internet.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »
When someone I've just met, with the very occasional exception, asks "What do your friends call you?" I have a stock reply.  "If you stay around long enough to become one I'll let you know.  But until then I'm Mister to you."

It pulls them up short.  Most just see it as a polite if somewhat over-formal warning shot, establishing territorial rights, but some get really upset.  Which is their problem, not mine.

I've had so many nicknames over the years that those who really know me can figure out which part of my life people come from by the names they use.  But Gyppo was my label long before the internet.

Yes, but Old Goat is a special one from us to you.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 05:33:06 AM »
Sounds about right.  I finally tracked down an old friend I've not spoken to for six years.  I phoned him up and said "Hello, you Old Goat."  To which he responded "Old Goat yourself."