Author Topic: Russian Spam.  (Read 2835 times)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Re: Russian Spam.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
We are banning them before they post at present, its like the flood gates have been left open
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Artemis Quark

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming! Everybody to get from street. 🤓

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »
We just need a better bear-trap ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Its not from lack of asking mate, the few mods we have aren't that readily available these days due to the real life thing and all
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Laura H

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
Just keep sending those report to mod notices, Comrades.  ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
I wonder how many of the number of members listed in the Stats are other spammers and they end up just spamming each other and the few of us remaining.

I don't ask where the Like button is but I would like one. Especially in the word games when I think an answer is so apt, so quirky, so perfect. All I do is put up the next thing, but would like to show my appreciation for the previous post without interrupting the game itself. I'm pretty wordy, but still.

Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
By and large, Chick, I hate emojis.  I even hate the word emoji.  But maybe that's the perfect use for one - slap down a smile before moving on with the game.  Shall we try it?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 12:40:37 PM »
;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
The last one I saw was actually terrifying. It was something to do with some piece of super spam software.

And then it wouldn't leave "Show Unread Posts" no matter how many times I clicked "Mark as Read".
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
I know the one you mean, Ollie.  It's been reported.

One of the few times I was tempted to reply with a heartfelt "F*ck Off!"  But spammers don't read their own messages.

But we are told by the new 'owners' that the updated SMF has better spam filters.  I beg to differ with that statement, even though I know our mods are fighting valiantly.   (Thanks again, Mods.)

One has to wonder how the filters are set in the 'improved' version.  In Mailwasher, which I used to use with my email, you could set it to delete anything with Russian, Chinese, or Korean text in the body or header of the  message without even showing it.  No nonsense about quarantining it for you to decide and then delete.

Think how many posts that would delete at the moment.   I have to wonder why such a system isn't in use on forums like this.  I understand that the new owners aren't particularly communicative, although they have given us back our quill pen header and a few other things we know and love.  Seems a rather short-sighted policy to me.

After all, the underlying purpose of a forum like this is to sell writing related products/services to a suitable market.  But if the writers stop coming because they're pissed off with ads for Nike, hard-on pills, hair loss treatments, and New York Giants sweatshirts they will have lost their audience.

Perhaps they bought as a tax loss ;-)  List owners have a hard time, sometimes, but you have to wonder what they're thinking.

Tim (The Red Barren - could probably have added a few lines of killer code - if invited - but sadly he's no longer with us.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:49:04 PM by Gyppo »