Author Topic: Different Format  (Read 1034 times)

Mister URL

Different Format
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
I am now up to 21 e-Books published but recently my time has been spent converting them to print-ready format so they can be put in paperback on CreateSpace.

I do not expect to sell many, since the cost of paper/ink/printing is so high. But it only costs me time to make them available, so I am doing it. I have three done so far. It is tedious, making sure the margins and such are all ready to change from .doc to .pdf.

I bet Stephen King doesn't do this.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Different Format
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:24:40 AM »
Probably not.  But if all this modern technology had been available when he started writing he probably would have done.

Many people turn away opportunity, mistaking it for hard work, when it turns up wearing overalls ;-)  (Not my own quote, but I like it.)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Artemis Quark

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
Have you tried KDPís auto conversion from ebook to POD?

I use Createspace (different than KDP although owned by Amazon) and format myself using HTML files and write in code to handle images in my books so I have not used the KDP conversion option.

Mister URL

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
I converted them all using Creatspace. Some of the comments on  their forum implied that the Amazon paperback conversion is not ready for prime time yet.

Offline hillwalker3000

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
It takes me about 3 minutes to convert a standard Word doc to Createspace paperback format.

Open your Word document and
- Click on Page Layout
- then Size and select 13 x 20 cm (or 5 x 8 inches) which is the nearest Createspace allow for a standard paperback
- Then click on Page Layout again
- Then Margins and select Custom Margins
And change the following:
- Margins - Top - 1.9cm
- Bottom - 1.9cm
- Inside - 1.9cm
- Outside - 1.27cm
- Gutter - 0.33cm
- Portrait (obviously)
- Pages - Multiple Pages - choose Mirror Margins
- Apply to - choose Whole Document
- Click ok and your word doc is ready to upload to Createspace without the need to produce a pdf version. But make sure you select the correct trim size (again 5ins by 8ins)

Good luck

H3K