Author Topic: Co-Author Tips  (Read 886 times)

Offline JWiseman

• View Profile
Co-Author Tips
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
My best friend and I are writing a novel. We are a little over half way through, and I have some questions. Both of us have done the research, and we discuss each chapter and the layout before I write it. He proof reads and edits each one as I finish it. We plan on publishing it together, but I have some questions. I'm assuming we will both need to work on the query and sign it together as well. My question is, do we need to have both of our names on the header of each page of the manuscript? Also, any other tips that anyone is willing to give would be greatly appreciated!

Lin

Re: Co-Author Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Have you decided on how you split your profits.  Should you have this in writing?

hillwalker3000

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
My best friend and I are writing a novel. We are a little over half way through, and I have some questions. Both of us have done the research, and we discuss each chapter and the layout before I write it. He proof reads and edits each one as I finish it. We plan on publishing it together, but I have some questions. I'm assuming we will both need to work on the query and sign it together as well. My question is, do we need to have both of our names on the header of each page of the manuscript? Also, any other tips that anyone is willing to give would be greatly appreciated!

I shouldn't think you'd need to sign the query or submission or even have your names on the header of each page of the manuscript since none of this is necessary when a single author sends off a piece of work. As long as you make it clear to the prospective publisher or agent that you have co-authored the work - or, if you choose to self-publish, make sure both your names are credited as co-authors.

H3K

Offline JWiseman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
Have you decided on how you split your profits.  Should you have this in writing?
We have discussed splitting the profits 50/50 although I've done the writing. I have no problem with this. Our main goal is to get our work out there and recognized. I trust him fully as I know he trusts me. Do you think we should get it in writing once things get rolling?
Also, I don't know if this matters, but we are planning on making this a sequel if not more.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:53 AM »
Just for the record, two person partnerships are more likely to go bust than any other way of engaging in any form of endeavour.  Trust is no substitute for a proper written agreement.  How you share the work, how you share the expenses, how you share the profits (if any), how you wind it up if you choose or need to.

With the best will in the world, people remember verbal agreements differently.  Put it in writing.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Yes Jo is absolutely correct, you should NEVER take on a project between two people without it being in writing first.  No matter how friendly you are with your partner.  It should be agreed between both of you.

I have been in business with two people over the years and everything was in writing thank goodness.  It's so easy to trust a friend.  I always say, trust everyone, but check just in case.  So as far as I am concerned this should be your first priority before you even start to write a book.  Have a look on my recent post about 'legal rights to write a book'  You will see I have put this first before even writing just one word of a novel. It can go so very wrong.

Everything you do must be with the sole permission of each other and in writing. If you don't you are heading for disaster no matter how nice your friend is.

Lin  :D

Lin

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 06:19:04 AM »
If I were you I would get some advice on the premise of your project.  What sounds absolutely wonderful to you, may not sell.  I suggest you find an author to look over a synopsis for you.  Someone who really understands these things.  There are quite a few of us here who might volunteer to help, away from the forum.  It's a big ask, but worth the effort. All we need is to see the work as it stands and give you some idea of whether your story is going to work or not.  If not, then perhaps we can advise.  Unfortunately, MWC is not equipped for full chapters.  You might have to pay a small fee for the privilege, but it's worth it.  Never rely on friends to help you.  They are not standing back and seeing this from all round point of view.  You need an unbiased viewpoint.

Good luck, I hope this doesn't sound negative, but some of us have  been there, done that,  and lost the t-shirt!  We do try to help others not to make the same mistakes.

Lin