Author Topic: Your thoughts on sub-text  (Read 550 times)

Lin

Your thoughts on sub-text
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
May I have your thoughts on sub-text.  I've just bought a book on the subject and although I understand it perfectly well, I often wonder about how much or how little it should be used. Perhaps I ought to say, use it whenever your character needs to hammer home a point without actually saying it. Make the reader do the thinking.   

Tell me your thoughts on this one.  Thanks

Lin

Offline Simple Things

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on sub-text
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
I had to look up the definition of subtext in regards to literature :)  I understand it, as far as anything in writing - sometimes at the brink, other times lost in a void. But anyways, my thoughts are as follows :)

From what I read they are bits of shared information by the mc and the reader. He may smile and say thank you for the birthday party, but inside the mc and reader knows he hates them the most. Those who threw the party aren't in on it, but because of a history shared in the story prior, the reader and mc are.

I think that's it anyways. I could be in that void again.

I can see where this would come in handy initially to develop a bond between the mc and reader. Them getting to know the mc's little ticking things. How they'll react.

I'm sure like anything in writing there needs to be a balance - how often is too much, when does the 'sly nod' get boring for the reader and dull that initial moment of sharing.

A good question to ponder. Thanks for asking.

Simplethings

Offline bailish

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on sub-text
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
The amount of subtext depends on genre. I notice adult fantasy seems to have much more subtext, whereas writing for young adults has much less.