Author Topic: Stormy weather, more than a song  (Read 458 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
Stormy weather, more than a song
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »
Cynthia used to live across the street from me. We raised our kids together and had lots of fun in our very family oriented neighborhood. I don't know if I've told the story of painting and decorating the dead pine tree. She wanted it cut down, her husband traveled for work. We spray painted the dead thing a florescent green and decorated it as a Christmas tree. We then put a spotlight on it so when he returned from Bangladesh (when I say he traveled for work, I mean he TRAVELED) it was all lit up in the summer night. He did cut the tree down the next day.

We both moved away. Eventually I ended up in South Carolina. She is in Alabama.

Irma is a very powerful hurricane and it going to wreak devastation wherever it lands. This is inevitable and unfortunate. I read something about those who thank God or the spirits or fate every time they adjust the projected path away from wherever it is each of us lives. We are just wishing the evil to befall someone else. Well, yes. That's very true. But who in their right mind would like their house literally blown away? We are all hoping it doesn't actually it us.

The farther west the storm goes, the safer I am. The farther east the storm stays, the safer Cynthia is. We each care about the other, and certainly hope the storm threads the needle between our current locations knowing that puts other people in danger.

I hope my friend stays safe. I hope we are safe as well. Life presents some really difficult challenges.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

Re: Stormy weather, more than a song
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
I hope you're both safe. 

But if the worst happens and one of you gets a real hammering, for heaven's sakes don't feel guilty over the path of a hurricane!  All the praying in the world isn't going to affect the physics one iota.  A hurricane's gotta do what a hurricane's gotta do.

You both live in a modern technologically-advanced country.  With building standards.  With emergency management.  With - and I hope it doesn't come to this - 21st century medicine.  An individual's chances of coming through a hundred-year storm are better now than at any time in the past.

It will be deeply distressing if you come back - or up, or out - and see massive damage to your home, your property and your neighbourhood.  But anything that people can make, they can make again.  Stay positive.  Get through the next few days, make sure Cynthia has as well, and then tackle whatever needs tackling.

Compared with someone beside you with a brush and a wheelbarrow, I can't offer you much comfort besides all my best wishes.  Do let us know you're all right as soon as you can.

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:24:10 AM »
Mother Nature doing as she pleases I guess. Stay safe you guys  :-*
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
Arty with his big fire, Chick with her hurricane.  My best wishes to all.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:49:54 AM »
I don't suppose this has changed Trump's mind about climate change one bit.

Lin  ;)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
Probably not. This is the most prepared for nothing I've ever been. It is slightly windy with a misty rain out there. I realize we are really, really lucky because at one point Charleston was looking like where Irma would make landfall. That area is seriously screwed. But since the path veered, I'm safe. Really prepared though.

And this is why people don't listen when they start getting all bossy about our safety. It is the boy who cried wolf over and over again. And the wolf really does appear sometimes. But we have tuned out the catastrophic prognosticating so often we don't listen when it's real.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 03:38:30 AM »
Glad it's all over, Spell.  Better to be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something!  How about Cynthia, have you heard from her yet?

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
No, but there are lots of places without power. We were down for about 1.5 hours. Lots of rain and then more rain and wind but not too terrible. I knew to look for downed trees on the way to the gym this morning. I found one right on bend in the road. Luckily, I was looking for such things and didn't drive into it and scratch the paint or anything. I also knew to make sure no one swerved head on into me on the way home.

Downtown Charleston was in a real mess since some of the major rain came during high tide and storm surge combo pack and so there is lots of flooding there.

My family in Florida is all safe. They lost a few shingles and things like that, but nothing major. Two houses down from my nephew, a large oak tree fell over directly into the middle of the house and crushed it. His house is fine. They just moved to Tampa from Jacksonville, a place devastated by coastal flooding.

My son was on stand by duty throughout and he and his family are also safe and sound and were throughout.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
Update, Cynthia's safe.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jo Bannister

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
That's good news.  Now, don't start feeling guilty about people who had a worse time!  You didn't send the hurricane their way.  It's what's called the luck of the draw.

I'm glad you drew lucky this time.

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
You can't let yourself get into thinking that if you wished the harm away from you then yourself you are actively are wishing it onto others.  There was something in the old 'CND songbook' which covered situations like this, even if they were man-made.

"Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.
Whilst the bombers thunder past
shelter me from burn and blast.
Though I know all men are brothers
please let the fallout fall on others."
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »
That made me giggle.

Now we wait for Jose to make up his mind on his track and hope this one stays in the ocean.