Author Topic: Facebook friends  (Read 1885 times)

Lin

Facebook friends
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:02:25 AM »
If you are on Facebook, I would be happy for MWC members to 'friend' me.  The reason I say this is because I have a lot of authors on my Facebook page and they are very supportive of all writers.  If you would like to put in a request I would be happy to include you. Please let me know who you are, as quite a number of you have a pseudonym.

I also have a lot of writing related information on my page. So please join in. I am well tuned-in to spam, so don't worry about that. I shall be able to tell if you are a genuine friend. I am happy to take on new friends just now, especially if I have connected to you before in the world of writing.

All the best

Lin  

Offline NatalieA

Re: Facebook friends
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »
Hi Lin. If I had a Facebook account I would definitely 'friend' you. :) I would like to ask you, since you are a published author, is it true that it's important for publishers that an author has a social media profile (facebook, twitter etc)? Will you get rejected if you don't?

Lin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »
No, you won't get rejected, but if you want your book to be seen out there, the publisher will encourage you to get into Twitter or Facebook or open a Wordpress account so that you have a web page.  It's all about seeing and being seen. Publishers need to sell your book and the more people who see you exist, the better. You cannot rely on writing a book and hoping it will sell all by itself on Amazon etc.   Much of the time you have to do it yourself these days. You will usually get publisher support.  Good luck!

Lin 

Offline sallyj

• The Writing Blog of Sally Jenkins
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
Hi Natalie - Like Lin, I don't think a publisher will reject solely on the basis of no social media profile but most publishers will expect you to build a social media profile if they take you on.
The most important thing is to write brilliant book!

Jo Bannister

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I can only speak for myself,  but I don't have a web-site.  I figure on my publishers' and agents' sites, so anyone who's desperate to know something about me can probably find it; but the only interesting thing I do is write good books, and they're available to anyone.  Well, anyone with the cost of a decent t-shirt to spend.

I'm good at one thing.  It isn't selling, and it isn't cosying up to electronic "friends".  It's writing books.  On the basis that I can't do two things at once - these days, I sometimes struggle to do one thing at once - I concentrate on what I do best, and leave the publicity to those whose job-description includes it.

Offline TomJoad

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
I can only speak for myself,  but I don't have a web-site.  I figure on my publishers' and agents' sites, so anyone who's desperate to know something about me can probably find it; but the only interesting thing I do is write good books, and they're available to anyone.  Well, anyone with the cost of a decent t-shirt to spend.

I'm good at one thing.  It isn't selling, and it isn't cosying up to electronic "friends".  It's writing books.  On the basis that I can't do two things at once - these days, I sometimes struggle to do one thing at once - I concentrate on what I do best, and leave the publicity to those whose job-description includes it.

I think its important, no matter what you do in life, you understand your strengths and weaknesses. That being said, I'm good a lot of things but writing is not a strong suite but I think I'm getting better detailing out the ideas that roll around in my head and of course, make them interesting. It turns out I'm not sure if I want to publish anything at this point but I do know that I enjoy what I have written.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:19:53 AM »
I'm not sure if I want to publish anything at this point but I do know that I enjoy what I have written.

That makes you a wise man, Tom, and means that you'll never have wasted your time writing.  If you can't please yourself, what chance is there of pleasing anyone else?

Offline NatalieA

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:44:38 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  :)

Offline spadanco

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
This post gave me useful information

Offline teenwriterlock

• I'm Tina. writer, learner, helper
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
i think it'd be really swell to have a MWC FB group so we could all meet each other
huge anime fan. find my anime work here: https://commaful.com/play/anime/  planning to post alot more there soon

have a lot of writing that i haven't published yet but will soon. stay tuned! may post some here and others on wattpad or something

Lin

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
I think there is one already

Lin

JewelAS53

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
I think there is one already

Lin

There is a Facebook page for My Writers Circle.
https://web.facebook.com/groups/388393075528/

Jo Bannister

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
But why would we want to meet there when we can meet here?  I really don't understand it.

Lin

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 04:11:53 AM »
I think Facebook is more visual.  This forum is about feedback on written work.

Lin