Author Topic: Watching a master at work. A veritable miracle. From the archives.  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Many years ago I watched an old gypsy chap pull up with an ancient Commer van full of family at a garage in the New Forest.  He made a beeline for a big old American car, a huge boat of a thing with at least eight cylinders and tail fins.  The sort of car that sat on a forecourt for ages after being taken in part exchange for something smaller and more modern.

He whipped the bonnet/hood open, holding it up with one hand, and spent a few minutes gazing at the motor whilst the other hand darted at the motor a few time.  He then ambled over to the shed, where the owner sat behind the steamed up windows, nursing an oil stove, to start haggling over the price marked on the windscreen.  His family watched with interest from the van.

I, a mere chance observer - sat on the grass verge nearby eating my sandwiches - watched with equal interest.

The garage owner came out and some quite ferocious haggling took place.  Most of this hinged around the fact the label proclaimed it to be a 'good runner' but when the owner sat inside it coughed and spluttered horribly and could barely drag itself itself across the forecourt.

The gypsy announced that he was willing to 'take a chance on it' if the price was right.  The price was rapidly revised downwards, a handful of notes were passed over from a sizeable roll, hands were shaken to seal the deal, and then, no sooner had the garage owner got back to his cosy little shed, 'the miracle' took place.

The transposed plug leads were returned to their proper places, all the cylinders roared into life, and one of the older children was summoned from the van to drive the monster to the camp site, slowly following the van.

The attraction of the big old cars wasn't just the low price, but the enormous carrying capacity.  Even if they were long past their best they'd be good for a year or two, and with the rear seats ripped out the boot space was extended into something really useful.  A fencer could carry all his tools and a whole bundle of stakes, coils of wire, and his family sat on the bare floor if he was dropping them off to 'go calling' whilst he worked on the fence.  Traffic laws were considerably more relaxed back in the mid 60s ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Re: Watching a master at work. A veritable miracle. From the archives.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:32:36 AM »
Great story mate, things have changed a lot
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:13:55 AM »
I was born at the right time to see a lot of things come and go.  Haven't always liked the changes, but it's always been interesting.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Tuck

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
"Harasoo Gype Harasoo", You have seen a right man on a right place.