Author Topic: Setting the last sails  (Read 683 times)

Tuck

Setting the last sails
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
Oh, yes, what would have them said if they found us in that last cabin of the up laying steamer, in which I had been previously serviced as an ordinary sailor, and after the ship was abandoned and set to lay up by the shore of  Marjan ham, Åland.

Yes, yes this is not quite fresch think, it occur about sixty years ago. It was one of those raw northern spring, grey ice could be seen drifting on the surface of the water of the  Harbor.
The Bar which has been our place for customary reunion among the sea folk was  situated by the Boulevard and was called as 'Cillet Bar', It never dawned on me what the Chilled means by Swede. it was just a name of a Bar and we the marooned crew was killing our time by sitting in that Bar.
There we were; 'drunk man,' Junk, and one other 'let'matrons'  nicknamed Kimo.
We had no money, nor silver but copper for co-cola.
Linda was sixteen and full blonde, flourishing girl from local Sweden speaking inhabitant. Every sailor was accustomed to hearing the well know phrase; 'No money, no honey ', which had resounded in the ears of every sailor who has drunk up all his money and was trying to have a girl.
Linda was not such a girl, Linda was my dove, and we kept our pigeonhole in the rear of the abandoned steamer Angus, secured at the wharf by the bank. We spent our night in this abandoned up laying ship. 
One day the woman who kept the list of unemployed sailors in the shipping office, said that there is a ship asking sailors. What ship is required, sailor? 
"It sailing ship," the woman said. She is  Short of hands and requires three deck sailors plus one donkey man.
We wondered, what a ship it could be.  A sailing ship we didn't see any other but the  Museo Pommern, and some other preserved wooden-hulled schooner.
"Go down and see the ship. The captain promised to be aboard at noon."
  We went down and see the ship, and boarding by the blank gangway and over the gunwale on the deck. The ship which we were supposed to be a museum appeared been a living sailor in commission,  three-masted cargo carrier, one of the last.