Author Topic: Moving, at last. The start of the saga.  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Moving, at last. The start of the saga.
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Yes, agree Patti. I have no idea of metres, I am from the feet and inches days so I still struggle when they talk that way

God love little Alma, she will find some other amazing thing once the room is filled

I don't think in metres.  I can work with them, using the other edge of the tape measure. but I still visualise in Imperial measurements.  But I still get the names mixed up sometimes.  I told Simon I was getting a 10 centimetre thick underlay instead of 10 millimetres.

He looked puzzled, I realised what I'd said, and we both started doing a moonwalk impression of someone bouncing around on a four inch thick underlay.

Alma asked if she could look in the shed to see if it was 'webby'.  Oh yes, very.  I was going to brush it out, to show her there was no need to be scared of spiders, but it was just too hot in there.

But I've rescued the rusted up old lock and made it serviceable again so we can start moving stuff into there soon.  Some of my 'stalled' woodworking projects will be revived later.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:35:56 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
This is the not time to start lying to Alma. It is always a good idea to be afraid of spiders until they can make a claim to civility. No need to to get crazy there and then ... chaos. Simple chaos. Spiders are not to be trusted unless they come certified as trustworthy, safe, and with their own endowment.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
So now we are looking for organic spiders, what a strange world  :D :D

They all bite unless they are dead.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
Our UK spiders are basically harmless, unless you're a fly.  I was bitten by a Wolf Spider, one of our hunting spiders which doesn't mess around with a web.  It hurt - a lot -  and made me dizzy for a while.  But our usual household spiders are harmless.

Alma used to just be curious about them and cheerfully accepted that Grandad allowed spiders in his house because they killed the flies.  But at pre-school she's acquired all kinds of bullshit fears and prejudices.

Anyway, here's a decorating collage.  The little miss pre-painted the walls with her name and pictures of a little girl, (with crazy hair), and some 'lucky fishes'.  The latter are probably my fault because I taught her how to draw fishes on my whiteboard a year or so ago.

She assures me all little girls have long and crazy hair.

"Am I a little girl then?"  Tugging my ponytail around to the front.

"No.  You're a Grandad.  Grandads are different."

Left click to enlarge.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:59:27 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Laura H

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 07:46:44 AM »
My goodness, she's gotten tall! And quite the artist, isn't she?  :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
She is tall. Lovely age too.

Love those pics and the french doors Gyp

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Are they going to need more than one day to lay the carpet?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »
Fly:  The French windows are great.  The other evening I was sat indoors, hiding from the heat, and a blackbird was shouting his head off in the trees.  Magic.

Spell:  Carpet will be a one day job.

Laura:  She's four at the end of the month.  Seems impossible it's nearly four years since she was modelling the 'Born To Be Me' Babygro and giving a sleepy finger to the world.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
I've just had a phonecall, out of hours as well, from a lady at the housing association.

"Sorry, we've made a mistake when we assigned you the bungalow...."  You can imagine my initial reaction.  Krakatoa poised to explode ;-)  "But it's only a paperwork problem."

"Right..."

"You signed an assured shorthold tenancy.  It should have been a secure tenancy.  All the prices, dates, etc are the same.  It was just the wrong form. I've printed out the correct one.

"Can you bring the wrong one in to the office tomorrow so we can swap them over?

"The correct one is much better for you.  It's yours for life."

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:14:45 PM by Gyppo »

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
She needed to start the conversation more in the middle. With the part about everything okay and even moreso in your favor and then mentioned a problem. Not given you a heart attack after all the work you've done.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
 :o :o

Holy crapanoley, you must have been holding your breath for the rest of that sentence Gyp  :D

Good to get it done now so they don't have a loop hole in years down the track mate.

Little Alma, been a legend since birth. Hard to believe she is nearly school age mate.

Gyp, with the windows open like that, do you get many bugs inside, like moths and mozzies, flies etc? We couldn't do that here for any length of time.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
It wasn't the best of feelings, not for a few seconds.

But I remember how every few years, when the rent increased, Mum would get a letter which started on the first line with 'NOTICE TO QUIT' in bright red ink.

About halfway down the page it would explain that this was merely a formal notice, and as long as you agreed to pay the increased rent, nothing else would change.

The first few times Mum got stroppy.  "What the hell do they think they're doing?  We've not given them any problems.  We're not like the bloody B....s."  A local family who managed to rack up over £2000 in rent before being forcibly evicted.  This was way back when that kind of total would have been nearly two years worth of rent.  "Imagine how this would feel if you were some nervous little old lady living on your own."

It probably killed off a few tenants every year or so.

=====

I was talking to the elderly lady who lives opposite the new place, I've known her since I was a kid.  She's got to be nearly as old as Mum.  Still hanging on all alone in a three bedroom house.  A bit of a local legend.

She offered to move to a bungalow in the same street when they first asked if she'd be willing to give up her house for a family.  (She would have been a prime candidate for my new place.)   The housing association told her  she would have to go online and join in the 'bidding' process.  She told them she couldn't be doing with all that hassle and that she has a legal right to stay put until she dies.  So that's it now.  The line has been drawn and "I'm not leaving until they carry me out feet first in a box."  They're a quietly militant generation.

"How do you feel about having me as your new neighbour."

"I could do worse.  At least we know you."  A pause for thought and then "As long as you don't leave your porch light on all night like some of the old idiots around here."

Note to self:  Get a thick curtain for the office window at night.  No trees to shade it in the new place.

Her daughter, who is probably only ten years younger than me, joined in and we consoled ourselves with being part of the shrinking group of 'Old Originals'.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:52:05 PM by Gyppo »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
Gyp, with the windows open like that, do you get many bugs inside, like moths and mozzies, flies etc? We couldn't do that here for any length of time.

Surprisingly few so far this year.  Traditionally we've always closed the windows by 10 PM, because 'that's when the moths come in'.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:06:33 PM by Gyppo »

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
It's nice to have a familiar face there mate. Sounds like you will fit in a treat

What will they do with the old place once you vacate?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
I imagine they will pretty well gut it to start with. They'll need to install the now standard central heating with a gas boiler and radiators, and a few other things to bring it up to the modern standard.  They may even take out the old open fireplace.  They'll probably stuff another four inches or more of insulation in the loft because we chose to ignore the last round of 'upgrades'.

They'll probably re-do the roof because although it hasn't leaked in nearly sixty odd years most of them have had the tiles lifted and a new lining installed as a standard upgrade when they've become vacant.

The wiring passed its last test several years ago with flying colours, but there's probably an upgrade due there as well.

There's been a lot of changes to the rules and regulations since we moved in here.

But the housing association are seriously short of three bedroom houses.  Most of the new ones they built recently have only two bedrooms, to suit 'modern families', but they got their population growth sums wrong and there's a growing demand for three bedrooms again.

In the last major round of demolitions and rebuilds they managed to create one hundred and seventeen extra 'dwellings' on the same footprint, but a lot of them were flats.  The bungalows are now all two bedroomed, and have grown bigger.  The new-build houses are more slimline.

As the builder's liaison lady said when they were doing the new bungalows etc all around us, "This street is an anomaly.  If the housing association had their own way they'd demolish and rebuild all of it.  But nearly ever other house is privately owned now, so unless they're willing to pay out a fortune for compulsory purchase orders it isn't going to happen.  But we'll probably be back here again in thirty to fifty years time."

Gyppo