Author Topic: frustrated unpublished author  (Read 3365 times)

Offline L.Carmichael_67

frustrated unpublished author
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
hi i am looking for legit publishing houses but I keep coming up with self publish or scams, can anyone help me?

Offline hillwalker3000

Re: frustrated unpublished author
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Get a copy of the Artist's and Writer's Year Book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writers-Artists-Yearbook-2017/dp/1472927656
I'm guessing there must be an American version.
But don't expect publishers to be queueing up to take on your work.

H3K

PS Self-publishing shouldn't cost you a penny. Createspace is 100% free.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:32:28 AM »
(a)  Accept that it's hard.  It's hard for everyone.  Some people who deserve to succeed don't.

(b)  Accept that there's nothing you can do to change the way agents and publishers work.  What you can change is the way you work.  If your writing isn't attracting the kind of notice you require, it may be time to change the way you write.  Study books published by the publishers you want to interest.  See what you can do to improve your chances with them.

(c)  If you don't want to change how you write, see what you can achieve with self-publishing.  Hilly's the man to talk to: he's done both, and opts to self-publish now. 

(d)  Whichever way you go, be your own sternest critic.  Make sure that nothing leaves your computer until it's as good as you can make it, however often you have to revise.  And that doesn't just apply to the story.  If there are errors of typing, punctuation or syntax, they'll stop an agent or publisher in their tracks and that's your chance gone.  They have a stack of manuscripts waiting from writers who do know how to present their work.

(e)  Don't give up the day job.  But don't give up your dreams either.

Offline teenwriterlock

• I'm Tina. writer, learner, helper
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
everybody goes through this if they're trying to get published. it's incredibly frustrating. like incredibly. and TONS of scams out there. ALWAYS do reference checks. ALWAYS check Google. don't get screwed by them.
huge anime fan. find my anime work here: https://commaful.com/play/anime/  planning to post alot more there soon

have a lot of writing that i haven't published yet but will soon. stay tuned! may post some here and others on wattpad or something

Offline G. London

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Legitimate publishing houses ( i.e. Bloomsbury etc.) will never ask a writer for money. Never.

They will also only accept manuscripts from a trusted source. In most cases an agent that they know is legitimate,  or to a lesser degree a known contact within the publishing world that a writer may also know.

So if you're writing fiction you most likely need an agent first to get your work read.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »
When I was in the US I purchased a copy of Novel and Short Story Writer's Market. 

There is also a good way to make sure you don't come across any scams.  Are you in touch with your local writer's group?  I belong to a couple of larger organisations which have many local groups under their jurisdiction.  From there I am often a guest at their events.  You can benefit a lot from going to conferences and events and network with publishers and other authors.  That's how I do it and I find it very helpful. Whilst in conversation you can swap business cards and then remind them in your introductory letter where you met them.

Hope this helps

Lin

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:40:24 AM »
I don't think that all Self Publishing has to be scams,
Also when you for example start with a blog to Self publish,

You might start attracting an audience for your writing, and
when that happens, you might receive valuable readers feedback
making your writing more Fun & Fruitful, and you never know
- when you really start getting an audience for your writing -
real publishers might actually come to you!

Talking about attracting an audience, I recently started to
give my writing blog a little more focus to make it
more interesting for you to read.

(Also aiming to add a little Fun, for example in a recent post
you can read about Humor texts on products.)

So feel free to become a frequent Commenter and
Reply writer with your valuable readers feedback :)

P.S. what is the Most Funny Text you have ever seen
on a T-shirt or other products?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:56:56 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com