Author Topic: Uploading chapters to Creatspace.  (Read 801 times)

Offline thecreativewriter

• sharonharveywriter.wordpress.com
Uploading chapters to Creatspace.
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
Ok, i know usually when doing chapters you do each chapter on a separate document, however someone who has just published her first novel tells me she does each chapter continuously so itís like Chapter one, then when thatís completed leave a line or two and then write ĎChapter 2í and continue and then she loaded it as one huge file to Creatspace.....

Can anyone else tell me if this is their experience or not....?

Also whilst I havenít quite finished my debut novel yet, i want to upload it to CS....Iím also told to upload it to KDP publishing for the e book only....doesnít CS do both though...? Either that or I thought CS and KDP were from the same company.....🤔

I did decide to ask what peoples favourite were, i prefer a good old book in my hand - i expected people to say definitely an ebook so was surprised by the results - i cant post here for some reason but basically they are saying:

Ebook: 9%

Paperback: 82%

No preference:9%

So do i do both ebook and paperback to suit all needs and upto CS only? And do i do chapters as one big document not separate ones.

As you can no doubt tell i am very new to this lol so any help is very much appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:54:49 AM by thecreativewriter »

Offline hillwalker3000

Re: Uploading chapters to Creatspace.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »
Creating a separate document for each chapter seems weird, but I suppose we all work differently.

When you upload any book to Createspace, you certainly have to upload it as a single document so all the chapters have to be included. You also need to make sure the text is formatted properly so that page breaks, margins, etc. all look perfect in the finished product. Createspace helps you do this by showing a preview of the finished product.

They will also automatically convert the book to an e-book if you so wish (once the book has been authorised by CS), though I generally provide my own pre-formatted version since you don't need chapter breaks on a Kindle the same way you do in a paperback.

H3K

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Ok, so if i am correct, you are saying to me do all chapters on ONE document. As i said prior, start chapter one, then when completed leave a couple of lines and started Chapter 2?

Well i am learning and i thought chapters was done separately as my tutor did but i am now finding out, others are doing them all in one document......Iíve learnt something new....but it does make perfect sense.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Createspace-Kindle-Self-Publishing-Masterclass-Step/dp/1493697595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516900643&sr=8-1&keywords=Step+by+step+authors+guide+to+writing+and+publishing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Publishing-Masterclass-CREATESPACE-Step-Publishing-ebook/dp/B00RPP01H0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1516900840&sr=8-6&keywords=How+to+publish+your+paperback+on+Createspace

There are these two books i have found on amazon, have you or anyone read it?

So if you get anything wrong, like margins, does CS give you help on how to amend and get it right?

PS Do traditional publishers also like all the chapters in one document also....i am guessing yes otherwise you would several documents containing each chapters....?

Thanks H3K
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:27:13 PM by thecreativewriter »

Offline hillwalker3000

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
Ok, so if i am correct, you are saying to me do all chapters on ONE document. As i said prior, start chapter one, then when completed leave a couple of lines and started Chapter 2?

You need to insert a Page Break at the end of each chapter unless you want the end of one chapter and the start of the next on the same page.

So if you get anything wrong, like margins, does CS give you help on how to amend and get it right?

No. They will flag up the fault - or you'll see it when you preview your book on their Interior Reviewer. But it's up to you to sort this out at your end.

It's not as difficult as it appears. I take about 3 minutes to convert a standard Word doc to Createspace paperback format.

Open your Word document and
- Click on Page Layout - then Size and select 13 x 20 cm (or 5 x 8 inches) which is the nearest Createspace allow for a standard paperback
- Then click on Page Layout again - Then Margins and select Custom Margins and change the following:
- Margins - Top - 1.9cm
- Bottom - 1.9cm
- Inside - 1.9cm
- Outside - 1.27cm
- Gutter - 0.33cm
- Portrait (obviously)
- Pages - Multiple Pages - choose Mirror Margins
- Apply to - choose Whole Document
- Click ok and your word doc is ready to upload to Createspace. But make sure you select the correct trim size (again 5ins by 8ins) when they ask for it (i.e. when you're ready to start on the Interior).

Good luck

H3K

PS Do traditional publishers also like all the chapters in one document?

Yes.

Offline sallyj

• The Writing Blog of Sally Jenkins
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
An alternative to Hillwalker's solution is to use one of the templates available and copy & paste your text into that.
Also Amazon KDP now offer a paperback publishing facility which is very similar to CS. I would use this now in preference to CS.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
You need to insert a Page Break at the end of each chapter unless you want the end of one chapter and the start of the next on the same page.

No. They will flag up the fault - or you'll see it when you preview your book on their Interior Reviewer. But it's up to you to sort this out at your end.

It's not as difficult as it appears. I take about 3 minutes to convert a standard Word doc to Createspace paperback format.

Open your Word document and
- Click on Page Layout - then Size and select 13 x 20 cm (or 5 x 8 inches) which is the nearest Createspace allow for a standard paperback
- Then click on Page Layout again - Then Margins and select Custom Margins and change the following:
- Margins - Top - 1.9cm
- Bottom - 1.9cm
- Inside - 1.9cm
- Outside - 1.27cm
- Gutter - 0.33cm
- Portrait (obviously)
- Pages - Multiple Pages - choose Mirror Margins
- Apply to - choose Whole Document
- Click ok and your word doc is ready to upload to Createspace. But make sure you select the correct trim size (again 5ins by 8ins) when they ask for it (i.e. when you're ready to start on the Interior).

Good luck

H3K

PS Do traditional publishers also like all the chapters in one document?

Yes.

Thank you so much for that invaluable information. I think whats worrying me at the moment, is they seem to be giving you different book sizes, and i am not sure which is the standard one (what most use) to use...

Found these books - any good do you think

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/150588828X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Createspace-Kindle-Self-Publishing-Masterclass-Step/dp/1493697595/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VF1PB8ANZSGJYTDV1RG2

An alternative to Hillwalker's solution is to use one of the templates available and copy & paste your text into that.
Also Amazon KDP now offer a paperback publishing facility which is very similar to CS. I would use this now in preference to CS.

Thank you for that also invaluable info Sally :) that is most interesting to know. I have checked them out and they are very interesting and maybe easier to use.

Oh do they, what instead of using CS? I will check that out too....

Thanks guys, much appreciative.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:25:42 AM by thecreativewriter »