Author Topic: National Poetry Month Celebration [juvenile & adult language/themes]  (Read 42534 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: National Poetry Month Celebration [juvenile & adult language/themes]
« Reply #615 on: April 30, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
Secondly-- You recall the current Poetry Challenge is accepting NaPo-posted poems.  Please, please, please self-select from your poems and PM to me as many as you'd like.  For some of you more prolific posters, I expect to receive 4-6 of your best.

Decisions, decisions...  This is the hard part ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline kateD

« Reply #616 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
You guys are awesome. I really respect the talent and tenacity of this group of poets. I can't wait to read what you consider your best in the Poetry Challenge. The anonymity is out the window, but, eh.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #617 on: April 30, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
I suspect it will come down to picking our personal favourites rather than what others might consider to be our best.  Poets are notoriously poor at rating their own work.  Except for the occasional poem which makes the hair on your arms stand on end, or whatever your personal 'this is special' gut level response happens to be.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Mark T

« Reply #618 on: April 30, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
The Last Post

A mournful tune played at military funerals
and commemorations for the many fallen
millions of soldiers dead, gone and forgotten.
Make way for the new war, a new generation
marches to the drum, eyes wrapped in flags
followed by the body-bags that taxes bought.
Animals for the slaughterhouse sense the end
but with heads bowed to digital narcissism
and nanny-state deception, economic webs
and government lies, we are conditioned
to feel overdue for the hellish Great Culling.  

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #619 on: April 30, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
The Last Post
...we are conditioned
to feel overdue for the hellish Great Culling.  

So damned true.

Gyppo

Offline kateD

« Reply #620 on: April 30, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
You guys are so damned good.

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #621 on: April 30, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
You are to, Kate - enough of this modesty stuff. :)  I expect submission(s) from you for the PC.  thank you. :)

Offline kateD

« Reply #622 on: April 30, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
I expect submission(s) from you for the PC.  thank you. :)

Ar, ar, ar! I didn't submit anything worthy of a PC to NaPo 2017. But I frolicked in what everyone else posted.

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #623 on: April 30, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
No arguing Kate, I want 2 poems by sundown. >:( >:(

-- -

I enjoyed the reading frolic as well.  :)

Offline REW

« Reply #624 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
Not a good day for a last minute dash, so here's number thirty.  All neatly tied up with time to spare.

=====
NaPo 30

Fallow

It's a sombre day today.
Not sad, or melancholy,
or bitter, or even resigned.
Just sombre.

A day for serious thoughts
and reflections.
For weighing and balancing,
checking the load for equilibrium.
Considering options,
laying the groundwork for plans,
but not yet planning.

A limbo day,
between past and future,
a self-contained bubble of now
set aside from the flow of life.

Sometimes people,
just like a nutrient-stripped field
which has grown too much,
too fast, need a break,
to allow recovery.
To lie fallow for a while.

This is such a day,
and to ignore the signs would be folly.

Gyppo

Wow Gyppo you have been on fire creating all these poems.  I am a fan of the dictionary.  Sometimes I pick a word I like and write something to embody the word.  I wonder if you did that too?  Anyhoo, you have been very prolific here for NAPO with lots of good stuff.
REW

Offline drab

« Reply #625 on: April 30, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
OK, I've done my time, accepted and completed the challenge.
Tom brought me here, kicking and screaming (me not him).
Now it's over, I'm sad! Because I thoroughly enjoyed the discipline of having to produce a poem every day.
I've been sporadic here (to say the least) in the last few years, as many others have. RMP used to be a wonderful thread, with a nice balance of newbies and more experienced poets. I think most will agree that Tom deserves to be applauded for the determination and generosity he's lavished on RMP as he's endeavoured to maintain its relevance in MWC.
His 'behind the scenes' efforts take up much of his time too; PM-ing encouragement.
You could (and I hope you do) thank him for all he's done, but I'd imagine a promise to play a more active role in RMP would please him more. (Two 'mores' in one sentence  ::) )
The downside of that is you'll probably be seeing more dying/death/diseased/dismal/dreary/drab poems  ;D
Thank Tom for that as well  ;D
Thanks Tom  :-*

To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline REW

« Reply #626 on: April 30, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
My contributions have been feeble and pathetic.  I thought maybe I could squeeze out another, but I doubt it.  In addition to my mental problems hahahaha that I have, I coach soccer for little boys and I am new at the coaching part so have been busy studying fun little soccer drills, I work very hard, then there is family, cleaning, cooking, and flower planting...not to mention Skippy the dog, and 2 felines.

You have been impressive.  I have been doing my best to even keep up reading them all.  Sorry I couldn't do more.  Life has been dragging due to the evils of a boss at work. I became energetic bc he is being fired, but I crapped out when it took too long...things were side tracked by a superintendent who inappropriately spent millions in federal money hahaha so many winners...Hopefully soon...I was told sooner than I think. Maybe tomorrow he will be gone, but I dare not get excited and then NAPO will be over.

Blah Blah

Great job poets!!! ;D ;D :D :o
REW

Offline REW

« Reply #627 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
OK, I've done my time, accepted and completed the challenge.
Tom brought me here, kicking and screaming (me not him).
Now it's over, I'm sad! Because I thoroughly enjoyed the discipline of having to produce a poem every day.
I've been sporadic here (to say the least) in the last few years, as many others have. RMP used to be a wonderful thread, with a nice balance of newbies and more experienced poets. I think most will agree that Tom deserves to be applauded for the determination and generosity he's lavished on RMP as he's endeavoured to maintain its relevance in MWC.
His 'behind the scenes' efforts take up much of his time too; PM-ing encouragement.
You could (and I hope you do) thank him for all he's done, but I'd imagine a promise to play a more active role in RMP would please him more. (Two 'mores' in one sentence  ::) )
The downside of that is you'll probably be seeing more dying/death/diseased/dismal/dreary/drab poems  ;D
Thank Tom for that as well  ;D
Thanks Tom  :-*

Yes I agree Tom deserves applause for his efforts and infectious enthusiasm.  He is an engine for this site.  He tried to make me welcome here from the get go.  I will put him in the 5 percent too.  Please don't be jealous  :P
REW

Offline REW

« Reply #628 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »
Thank you Tom!!!!
REW

Offline REW

« Reply #629 on: April 30, 2017, 09:46:44 PM »
Do you think they could keep this up a few days past the close?  There are some I have not had a chance to comment on and I might need to do so
some saving.  I hate being so busy...I also have to make a rainbow and edit a program...
REW