Author Topic: National Poetry Month Celebration [juvenile & adult language/themes]  (Read 42535 times)

Offline drab

Re: National Poetry Month Celebration [juvenile & adult language/themes]
« Reply #630 on: April 30, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
Forgot to say how amazed I was to read people say things like 'I'm not a poet' or 'I don't think my poems are any good'.
I won't mention who they are, but they were so wrong!
Thank you all for sharing your imagination, your lives, your creativity and your intelligence...it was quite a ride  :-*
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline drab

« Reply #631 on: April 30, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
Yes I agree Tom deserves applause for his efforts and infectious enthusiasm.  He is an engine for this site.  He tried to make me welcome here from the get go.  I will put him in the 5 percent too.  Please don't be jealous  :P

Hope that means I'm his neighbour?  :)
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline drab

« Reply #632 on: April 30, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »
Do you think they could keep this up a few days past the close?  There are some I have not had a chance to comment on and I might need to do so
some saving.  I hate being so busy...I also have to make a rainbow and edit a program...

I'd imagine if there is traffic on the thread it won't be removed.

Offline drab

« Reply #633 on: April 30, 2017, 10:08:26 PM »
My contributions have been feeble and pathetic.
[/quote

Read the crits you received REW!
Your poems were anything but 'feeble and pathetic'.
Get involved with RMP, write and critique...make Tom happy  ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #634 on: May 01, 2017, 02:29:40 AM »
Wow Gyppo you have been on fire creating all these poems.  I am a fan of the dictionary.  Sometimes I pick a word I like and write something to embody the word.  I wonder if you did that too?  Anyhoo, you have been very prolific here for NAPO with lots of good stuff.

Words are my 'thing', just as I have a nephew, and great nephew, who play with numbers with equal ease.  It's the way our minds are 'wired'.

I just read a lot as a kid and have never really stopped since.  As a family we have always played with words.  If I read a new word which Mum or Dad were unsure about - or sometimes pretended to be so as to encourage the dictionary/reference/reading habit - I was always exhorted to 'Look it up'.  I'm lucky in that the words tend to stick in my memory for fairly easy retrieval.

Some kids have an early aptitude for art, or music.  I was in love with words, entranced by their shape and music, even before I could read or write.  Mum and Dad both used to tell me stories they made up, or passed down from their parents.

Most of my poems tend to be stories or narratives of one sort or another, usually based on real events, presented in a different form from 'ordinary' prose.  Snapshots of life.  My Sister is very good with words too but leans more towards painting.  Still writes poetry, but tends to keep it to herself.

My maternal Great Gran was totally illiterate and had to sign for her pension with a cross, the classic "Make your mark here, please."  My Mum apparently taught her to sign her name so she could collect her pension with a bit more dignity, and write short messages on greetings cards.  The old lady never really learned to read or write to any extent, but was incredibly proud of that little bit she knew. (She started work at the age of eight, back when schooling wasn't compulsory.)  General literacy is not as ancient as most people tend to assume.

I am one of those people who can genuinely forget to eat when I'm lost in reading or writing.  Not always a good thing ;-)

Gyppo

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:38:07 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #635 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:02 AM »
So sad this month is at an end! It was great sharing these moments/words with you all. A special mention to Tom of course. He's a devoted mentor to all of us, and an awesome poet. He is an inspiration to me, really is  :).

Thank you all.
Catherine

Offline Mark T

« Reply #636 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
Thank you Gyppo. :)
I've missed a few days but here's my last one guys

Now and then

Poetry was fingers stained blue with ink
it was pencils chewed to the core
and erased words hardly visible
lines crossed and replaced
margins lively with ideas
doodles and scribbles
dusty smell of paper.
A selfish pleasure.

It is now a bright screen full of signs
aching wrists and shoulders
and sore dried out eyes.
It is the clicking song
of an old keyboard
or the grinding
of a printer.
And share.

Thank you for this shaped poem, Catherine. Most pleasant to see. And may I add that your worst English poem is far superior to my best French one. :D
Tom absolutely starred this month, and him and Dave have been stalwarts on a lonely RMP for the past year but drab returned before Napo, which was very welcome, as a top contributor. Linda is back on RMP, Gyppo contributed massively to Napo. Richard and Kate also showed up which was great, Catherine sparkled, REW weighed in, and there was a nice sprinkling of cameo appearances, including the irreverent and irrepressible Dylan. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone - i was there too.  ;D

I guess my point is to say, stop by RMP when you can, and let's keep the camaraderie going.
Cheers, everyone. Job well done.     

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #637 on: May 01, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
Mark, Catherine, drab, Gyppo, Dave, REW, everyone --  its been a great ride.  :) :)

We know we can take this spirit, if not pace, to RMP.

Be sure to vote in the Poetry Challenge when I get it posted. And . . .

Mark your calendar for April, 2018 -- we found out this year just what it can be, and I expect all of you bastards back here next year.  ;D

And keep your eye out for maybe a notice or something about a Midsummer Poetry Fest. ::) ::)

8)
T
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:08:34 PM by Tom 10 »

Offline Mark T

« Reply #638 on: May 02, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »

T-man, is that avatar you in your Arlo Guthrie phase?

Dig this, man   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYE4-_Yzj60

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #639 on: May 02, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »

Don't touch my bags, if you please . . . .  ;D ;D

Sadly, no,  Mark- it is George Perec - an artist of whom I knew nothing until CatherineF brought him to my attention - well worth googling. :)

I love the look on his face - so open, expressive, like there is something behind the eyes.   :)

- ------------- ---

The poll will be going up later today.  Sorry it is taking so long.  We have 36 entries.  I usually post the poems in the order received, but that didn't seem right when they have been coming in in batches, so I found a random number generator online to assist.  I used it to randomly assign each poem a number and then to randomly pick the order of the poems.  I am tracking the reordering on my master scorecard. Of course you didn't want to know any of this.  Because of the unique situation, I am taking the liberty of including three of my poems as well, I hope no one is upset or put off by this.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #640 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

Because of the unique situation, I am taking the liberty of including three of my poems as well, I hope no one is upset or put off by this.

Why should they be?  You did your time in the trenches along with the rest of us.

I hope the grand total means some of the more reluctant 'poets in denial' proved willing to join in ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #641 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
The more reluctant 'poets in denial' proved willing to join in ;-)

The foreigner "poet in denial" has joined already  ;D

Tom I'm so happy you chose this avatar, therefore introducing George Perec to our friends...Let's join the OULIPO  :D

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #642 on: May 03, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

In the thirty days of April, 2017, our NaPo thread hosted the work of eighteen authors and featured 268 poems. There were 636 postings to the thread, and over 6,750 views.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:54:23 PM by Tom 10 »

Offline REW

« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »
Hope that means I'm his neighbour?  :)

Yes you and Tom are neighbors in this world...cannot think of the right name for the street...
REW

Offline REW

« Reply #644 on: May 04, 2017, 02:12:29 AM »
Mark, Catherine, drab, Gyppo, Dave, REW, everyone --  its been a great ride.  :) :)

We know we can take this spirit, if not pace, to RMP.

Be sure to vote in the Poetry Challenge when I get it posted. And . . .

Mark your calendar for April, 2018 -- we found out this year just what it can be, and I expect all of you bastards back here next year.  ;D

And keep your eye out for maybe a notice or something about a Midsummer Poetry Fest. ::) ::)

8)
T

Thanks for doing this Tom.  You do a really nice job.  I wish I was more involved this year, but just a really busy time.  it is 2 am!!! 
REW