Author Topic: National Poetry Month Celebration [juvenile & adult language/themes]  (Read 41029 times)

Offline Tom 10

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  April is Here!!.  .  .  .  .  .  .  

This thread is home to our participation in National Poetry Writing Month - the challenge to write a poem a day - 30 poems in 30 days.  

You are encouraged to help build the tradition at MWC of active participation in this celebration with whatever contribution you are able to muster.  Each year a number of writers have successfully accomplished the 30/30 challenge, and a wider group of folks have participated by writing and posting their new poems as works for them.  

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:16:56 PM by Tom 10 »

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
Re: National Poetry Writing Month - Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Hi Tom

Currently warming up : vocalizing / stretching / bending / twisting my hair / sharpening my pencils...

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »

Howdy, Catherine! 

Warm-ups are good . . .

Offline DRP22

• Bleep Blorp
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
Hey, Tom!

As promised, I'll make an attempt at poetry here soon.

Just like Catherine, I'm warming up as well: stretches, bends, googling "how the hell to write poetry"...

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline drab

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »
So I just come here and post a poem a day for 30 days?
Seems painless enough  :)

To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:29:40 AM »
It's like the saying about going through hell ;-)  "When you're going through hell keep going."  Don't stop to admire the scenery or look back over your shoulder.

Or maybe you should think like an alcoholic.  One day at a time.  Don't get to day three and look at the twenty seven days still ahead.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »

Before the kick-off, a quick refresher on simile and metaphor:

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:17:03 AM »
For anyone who is thinking about taking up the challenge may I say "Don't get hung up on perfection."  I dread to think how many good poems die still-born because the would-be poets have an impossible image in their mind of what a poem should be.

Napo Month is about first drafts, which you can later polish or reject at your leisure in your own time.  It's about loosening the shackles and letting things out.  It's your chance to binge shamelessly on words, whether they rhyme or not.  A chance to let your mind run free and see what emerges.

Your poems don't need to tackle weighty subjects, unless you want to.  They can be bits of light-hearted frippery, or a simple appreciation of some everyday sight or emotion.  If the play of sunlight on newly budded leaves, or shadows on the wall contains a deeper metaphor for life then so be it, but it's not wrong to just appreciate the feast for your eyes or other senses and try to share it with a reader.

You may have a particular form of poetry which calls you, but it's not the only one.  You may enjoy the technical challenge of a haiku or sonnet, or you may loathe the very idea of such traditional restrictions.

Is it not better to be a free-ranging soul and try anything which appeals to you?

Some of it will be truly dire, some of it will be immensely satisfying but have no mass appeal, and almost inevitably some of it will resonate with others even when you don't greatly care for it yourself.  At times you may really wonder what others see in some of your offerings ;-)

Remember each poem is individual.  It's a bit like shooting.  Each shot exists in its own bubble of time and space.  One miss needn't influence the next shot, unless you let it.

If you miss a day or two don't give up.  Whether you catch up or not at the end of the month you will still have several pieces which wouldn't have existed without the Napo spur.

Finally, keep this in mind.  It is virtually impossible to consistently write bad poems.  Knock them out one after another, don't keep looking back, and somewhere in those thirty days you will produce something you really like.  If you truly don't believe this then I challenge you to prove it by completing the month.

Gyppo  (Who has no idea what he'll do over the next 30 days, but truly believes something will turn up.)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »

What Gyppo said. 

And trust yourself.

The stuff to make poems from will come, just start writing.  If you sit motionless waiting for the perfectly formed poem to occur to you, it ainít gonna work. 

Sometimes I think NaPo is like making pancakes.  Donít worry if the first ones arenít right, thereís more on the way - keep flipping them out.

Hereís a nice article on this by a fabulous poet:

http://ualr.edu/rmburns/RB/staffort.html

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
I am totally knackered.  It's been a very trying day, and I'll probably have collapsed before midnight.  So I'm going to put up my first NaPo offering just a couple of hours early to get the ball rolling

=====

30 - 30

Thirty poems in thirty days
could trap me in a wordy maze,
mired in metaphors,
strangled with similes,
and watching my back
for the creeping homophones.

Dangling participles brush my face
as my cursor tries to find its place.
Like a ghost train in my brain,
skeins of syllables to explain,
on the track then off again.
Who knows where it will end?

April the thirtieth, that's when it ends.
Join the trip, my wordy friends.

Gyppo

Offline Tom 10

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
Bon Voyage Gyppo!!

And we're off!

I've got 7 3/4 hours yet to midnight, but probably won't have my first poem up until sometime tomorrow morning.   :)

Offline Mark T

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

lemme swerve aheada the curve
cosits jus gone midnight
and time is tight
ana i cant think of a rhyme
that rhymes with curve
other than nerve or perve
or some-ting else

Offline REW

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
I am totally knackered.  It's been a very trying day, and I'll probably have collapsed before midnight.  So I'm going to put up my first NaPo offering just a couple of hours early to get the ball rolling

=====

30 - 30

Thirty poems in thirty days
could trap me in a wordy maze,
mired in metaphors,
strangled with similes,
and watching my back
for the creeping homophones.

Dangling participles brush my face
as my cursor tries to find its place.
Like a ghost train in my brain,
skeins of syllables to explain,
on the track then off again.
Who knows where it will end?

April the thirtieth, that's when it ends.
Join the trip, my wordy friends.

Gyppo

That is excellent.
REW

Offline drab

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
Travelling South

Ice cream drips,
white snakes
syphon
down her decolletage.
Index finger scoops
a warm offering,
sweet, but
I'll wait until it reaches
its next destination.
To live, with gentle but cunning deceit, and accept the consequences, is the destiny of every man.