Poll

Results will be revealed when the poll ends.

Telling Time
3 (37.5%)
The Palm Reader
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 03, 2017, 12:24:03 AM

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Contest #125: Winner Announced!  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Skylan

• -
Flash Fiction Contest #125: Winner Announced!
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:24:03 AM »
TELLING TIME

Our President emerged from the spray tan booth, newly installed in his quarters, and stood at the mirror. He removed his goggles, blinked his ever-so-white eyelids, combed over his hair. Familiar words flitted through his mind. Terrific. Huge. Big league.

#

One block away, Harry shouted, “Now!” Then he and his partner, stationed at the far end of the steel structure, jumped in synch. Their combined weights repelled down their nylon ropes and unfurled billowing fabric above them.

#

Later that day, Sally spotted the photo atop a news blog—a giant banner hanging from a construction crane, overlooking the White House, emblazoned with one word: RESIST. Sally’s heart fluttered. Her despair parted. But she heard her boss’s voice approaching. So she closed her browser, opened her calendar on the screen. His voice grew louder. She recalled Trump’s Inauguration speech, it’s theme of American Carnage. I need to do something. She tapped on Saturday, January 28; entered a new event: RESIST; and checked the square marked “all-day”.

“Sally, I need you to…”

#

The time had come. After two years in the making, pages and pages of forms, hours and hours of interviews with immigration officials, levels and more levels of clearances gained, he was now embarking on his dream: going to America. Khalid presented his ticket and visa to the agent, who scanned a printed list to his side then looked up. “I’m sorry, Sir.” He handed back only the ticket to Khalid. “We can’t let you board.”

#

At the Statue of Liberty, a reporter pointed toward the sign hung that morning—Refugees Welcome—and angled a microphone toward a visitor pondering the sight with her children.

“She was already a ginormous ‘Refugee’s Welcome’ sign,” she said. The cameraman zoomed in on her face. “Guess someone just wanted to remind us.”

#

“… a bomb. A big one, for all those little Jews,” said Big Joe, then hung up the phone.

It took less than three minutes for Mabel and her team to fully evacuate the babies in their cribs from the daycare nursery into the JCC parking lot—for the second time that week.

#

The morning after the election, Charlie wrote in Facebook: “I’m stunned America would carry its derangement over Hillary Clinton to the point where they'd rather elect a Fascist conman instead.”

His cousin replied: “Your candidate was flawed. Get over it.”

Another remarked: “We need Change.” (Fascism is the change she wants?)

Charlie’s brother replied: “America is a huge corporation and needs navigation by a leader who has done it successfully before. Thank God we now have the right man for the job!”

Charlie wondered: How am I even related to these people?

#

“Just give him a chance,” said the Trump supporter. American flags waved in the background. The reporter concluded, “Americans who support the President want other Americans to ‘just give him a chance’. But when he finally does get that chance, will they approve? Only time will tell.”

The Palm Reader

They say Miz Weezie’s been reading palms out that run-down shack for a hundred years, maybe more. Could be, she old enough, that for sure.

My mama took me down since I was a baby. Mama wouldn’t do nothin’ wit out she ask Miz Weezie first.

Gramma didn’t like it, used to say, “She doin’ the Devil’s work.” But to her, anything ‘cept sittin’ in church or reading the bible be devil’s work.

Ya’ll got to get someone to take you there the first time, or you never find it. It way, way out there. And when you get close, whatever you do, don’t go stoppin’ and askin’ no directions. Cause folks around there? Hoo boy, they are definitely not friendly. Sooner run you off with a shotgun than look at you.

Even when you do find her dirt road, you could still miss the place. Can’t hardly see the shack t’all. Those big trees and bushes growed up, all so close around. I swear they all that’s holding up the roof.

And y’all need to be with someone Miz Weezie knows. She funny with strangers, sometimes. She old, but I wouldn’t mess with her. Handy with that cane, for sure. And she got a big old shotgun set right by the door.

She always tie the dog up when we come in, but it’s just a little old twiney rope, and he a big thing. That dog give me the heebie jeebies, always staring at me and lickin’ them slobbery lips.

But it’s the other things, those ones you can’t see. Mama told me how once Miz Weezie, without sayin’ a word, she cursed a man. Mama knew the guy, and she said he gone home right after and dropped stone cold dead. And another time when a woman didn’t pay her? Well, that women done went blind, just like that.

So you never, ever, don’t pay Miz Weezie. And you best bring a gift. She likes it if you bring her a chicken. A live one. She partial to the black ones ‘specially. And cigarettes, any kind’ll do. I bring her candles too, she uses lots of ‘em.

But it be worth all that, once you get there.

She see everything what’s happened or ever goin’ to happen. She tell you what you need to know. Who don’t want to know the future?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:02:09 PM by fire-fly »

Offline Skylan

• -
Re: Sticky: Flash Fiction Contest #125: Voting closes April 2nd
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
Congratulations to heidi52! With her winning poem, The Palm Reader. ;D

Offline Laura H

Re: Sticky: Flash Fiction Contest #125: Winner Announced!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:40 AM »
Congratulations!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Yay Heidi  :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline MiggsEye

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »
Congratulations, Heidi!
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” — Dr. Seuss

Offline heidi52

Re: Sticky: Flash Fiction Contest #125: Voting closes April 2nd
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
Congratulations to heidi52! With her winning poem, The Palm Reader. ;D

Thanks guys! New challenge up soon.

Offline kateD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
Congrats Heidi! Got my vote.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
Thank you kateD.

I hope everyone will check out the new challenge

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=61894.0

Hopefully there is something to spark your writing fever.