Author Topic: vanity publishers  (Read 2625 times)

Offline L.Carmichael_67

vanity publishers
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
hi

I recently got a contract in the mail from austin and mccauley, and found out from research they aren't legit and neither are olympia publishers who also offered me one for my book.

I'm kind of losing confidence of it getting published at all, does anyone know of any legit publishers out there that aren't vanity?

hillwalker3000

Re: vanity publishers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:56:18 AM »
There are hundreds - pick up any book in a book store and check who published it. But established publishing houses are not likely to publish anything that's not going to sell in vast quantities and make them money. That's why it's so difficult to get a publishing deal. Your book has to be exceptional.

I suggest you stop wasting your precious time and go the self-publishing route.

H3k

Lin

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »
You must beware of all publishers.  Treble check each time.  My own experience is that sometimes publishers tend to take on your work so that they can become more established and reputable.  The best way of checking is to go to their web site and see how many books are displayed.  If they only have about two or three authors and fill the rest of the space with examples of pseudo covers that they will produce, then think again.  It's best to go for a reputable company with lots of books to their web site, and check on Amazon to see how many are there and the reviews. You must also decide if the royalties are enough as well.  There is a lot to learn before you go submitting to the publisher.  I found the best way is to be in contact with an author society of your genre.  They can be most helpful and their members should be able to advise.  

Yes, you really do have to carry out a lot of research.  As you are in the US, I cannot really comment further, because I don't publish there, but as a rule, the above usually applies.

Take great care and it might be a good idea to join Absolute Write Water Cooler, you can find all kinds of information about various publishers good or bad.  It's a minefield, I know, but with the right guidance, you will get there.  

Offline L.Carmichael_67

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
thank you all for your replies, I emailed austin mcauley back and said this

thank you so much for your interest in my book, unfortunately due to not being able to afford your fees you charge I have to respectfully decline your offer.

then I sent the email.

what I really meant was,

when I sent my book I didn't know you were a vanity publisher, therefore I now know what kind of a b********er you are, so no I will not sign a contract you most likely printed up in hopes of taking money from me.

They want 500 euros from me, which is nuts since that translates into 7, almost 800 dollars in canadian.

also bells go off because upon further research I found out that real publishing houses not only do they not send a contract to you, but also will not ask for money up front.

writers beware this publishing company.
http://www.austinmacauley.com

I wish I knew before I sent anything to them, hopefully some new writer will see this and not be scammed.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »
I know a really good self-publisher who will not charge you fees except if your book needs editing.  If you want further information please PM me.  They do a lovely cover, very professional and the only fees you pay for are your book orders.  You can set the price yourself with guidance from them and receive royalties on your kindle sales. The books you sell yourself you can get more profits.

There is a lot you can do for yourself in the world of independent publishing, but if you aren't experienced, and would like help, I can put you in touch with them. They are well known in the UK and will look after you.  

Lin  

Offline L.Carmichael_67

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:32:16 PM »
yes please that would be great, send me a message when you come online.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »
If you can interest an agent in your work, a lot of good publishers who won't look at unsolicited manuscripts will be willing to consider you. 

The rule of thumb is, if you are or want to be a professional writer, you expect to be paid, not for publication to cost you money.  People who just want to see their name in print pay for it the way they'd pay for any other hobby.

Good luck.  But it is a rocky road.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »
If you end up paying to be published, then it's vanity publishing whether the publisher is genuine or otherwise. No one should have to pay to see their work in print these days.

H3K

Offline L.Carmichael_67

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 05:30:51 PM »
now they want to send me a revised contract after I said no, I emailed them back and said as I have already declined your offer please do not send another contract, I am no longer interested

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
Don't bother replying to them if they pester you again, and they probably will.

Don't be surprised if you get similar offers from other crooks, becauseif they can't trap you they'll sell your email address to someone else in the same money-grubbing line.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1