Author Topic: Zumba and Alice  (Read 1096 times)

Offline R. L. Copple

• R. L. Copple's Author Web Site
Zumba and Alice
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »
No, my mom, to my knowledge, never did Zumba. Rather, I'm squeezing two subjects into this post, but there is a connection.

On the Zumba front, I've been doing that class, around 3-4 times a week, for almost 2 years (beginning of March will make two years). It has been one of my most productive efforts to deal with the progression of Parkinson's Disease of which I was diagnosed with back in 2013. I tell a general outline of my story and how I'm moving to a new stage--becoming a certified Zumba and Zumba Gold instructor--on my blog: https://rickspdjourney.blogspot.com/2016/12/zumba-for-2017.html

Note: I do have a link toward the end of that blog post where people can donate to my goal, as I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. But no hard sale here. You certainly don't have to donate to go read the blog if you're interested in doing so. But just so you're aware. And of course if you want to donate, I'm not going to stop you!  :P

But this is where my mom comes into the picture. Because I just had today one of your members who is also one of my friends on Facebook and had seen my post there, make a donation in memory of my mom, Alice Kiker, aka CountryGal on this forum (if I'm remembering correctly). As most of you know, she passed away this past July due to liver cancer.

This has been a strange holiday season, not having her around. It's just not the same. Additionally, it reminded me that tomorrow would have been her birthday. If I have the year straight when she was born, she'd be turning 72 this year. She definitely left a hole, as I know she has here as well.

So I thought, if you can remember to do so, as you lift your cups or glasses to bring in the new year with a toast, if you'd offer one in memory of Alice. Thank you so much for the part you all played in her life. Anytime I visited her, the subject of what was happening here would come up. She really called this her home on the Net.

Enjoy what is left of the holidays and may 2017 bring us all more blessings than hurts. Thank you.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Zumba and Alice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
Birthdays at this time of year are all so squished in together. I'm sure your mother is celebrating in heaven. Alice was one heck of a Country Gal. I raise of glass of Gray Goose mixed with something cuz I'm not a really much of a drinker, to her and all her wit and wisdom.

I'm glad you are able to do something to mitigate the effects of Parkinson's. My grandmother had that and they knew a lot less about it way back then.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
We won't forget Alice.  She was one of our stars.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »
Alice is a true star, that is a given. Miss that amazing lady so much, think of her most days and read her old posts for a daytime pick me up.

We sure won't forget her Rick and good on you for actively fighting Parkinson's, that is a pretty amazing thing to be doing.  :-*
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Laura H

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
I think of Alice often. She lives on in the memories of many of us, Rob.  :-*
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty