Author Topic: I'm not sure what just happened, but I think I got ripped off (Paid Editor)  (Read 10710 times)

Offline lamont cranston

Re: I'm not sure what just happened, but I think I got ripped off (Paid Editor)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
I'm going to judge the work when I see it.

And no, I'm not holding my breath. ;D

I can see how people get ripped off for sure.

Well..one of the ways, anyway.  I'm sure there's more.

Lin

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:11 AM »
I have a very good editor who doesn't charge a fortune and she edits the whole book. She is well known for her work as she worked with a large publishing house and is very positive.  It's a good idea these days to employ an editor, as you never see your own mistakes before sending to a publisher.  I have a very good rapport with her and have paid for two sessions.  One is checking for timelines and providing a general report with suggestions on how to improve it and the other is a proper edit line by line.  Her return time isn't too quick because she is thorough, but within a month I usually have my work returned. It's a good feeling to have someone beside you who has read your work thoroughly and knows what sort of writer you are. It gives you more confidence that you not sending out a book with errors. It think it's best to go with recommendations and not use friends.

Good luck, we've all had to learn by our mistakes.

Lin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:10:28 PM by Lin Treadgold - Author »

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
But this could have happened with anyone.  I am sure it's not good to do business with a friend, and to not have a contract, but I've heard plenty of stories about 'more professional' editors not returning work for months and not giving a decent in depth critique.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
You're right. One publishing house (I'll not name) had an editor who managed to insert 2 typos in my finished book even after I'd pointed them out to her and asked her to change her revisions.

H3K

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »
Well I got 6 pages of 20, and....he actually rewrote it.  Completely.  I have to go do something but will elaborate later.

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
Yeah he just put in all this stuff.  To me it makes it sound like a really schlocky made for tv movie.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
I trust he's not being paid by the word - or indeed, at all.

H3K

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
No this is part of the original 2 hours of work he promised to do in the first place.  I know many do not agree with me, but I am willing to pay him for 2hrs work as we agreed.  I'm not rich but I pay what I said I was going to pay.

After I get that in hand I'll tell him that's it.  Not until.

The changes he wants so far - he just rewrote huge sections.  And normally, when people give me suggestions I am very receptive.  But these changes just really bother me.

For example.  Wants the MC to have a specific kind of psychological reaction in one situation, something that is actually fairly rare and doesn't fit the situation at all.  And later, a psychologist actually EXPLAINS(in very simple terms) why the MC doesn't have this type of psychological reaction.

Also wants to jazz up a scene in which the MC is attacked.  In a way that I think would be extremely unlikely for the attacker to do - that character is a violent criminal and is usually drunk or high (disinhibited). 

I feel like I know these guys.  If I haven't made it clear enough to the reader who they are, I can correct that.  But I don't want them doing things that are completely out of character for them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:43:39 PM by lamont cranston »

hillwalker3000

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
It's extremely unusual for an editor to rewrite a piece of writing. They will point out grammatical errors and inconsistencies as well as certain stylistic or 'voice' issues. But this guy sounds more like a wannabe novelist.

H3K

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
He didn't rewrite it all, every word, but he rewrote large sections.  I guess I called it a rewrite because to me there was a great deal changed, far more than I expected.

And the first line is changed...and...well, quite a lot of the first 7 pages.

I just don't like most of the changes.  I think it makes it too much like a schlocky daytime movie.  

I expected to see things like grammatical errors flagged, places where he doesn't like the wording ('too wordy, shorten' or 'need to show here, not tell') or logistics like 'Bob never entered the room, and now he's doing stuff in the room, whaaaa?'

Or if there was a really major flaw or a place where he didn't like the style, he'd say, 'this isn't believable for me' or something like that.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
You're allowed to ignore his advice.

H3K

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Well, yeah, I just wonder if he's trying to get me to write the same kind of book I want to write.

Artemis Quark

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
You've shown infinite patience. Maybe venting here has allowed you to do it. But your editor needs to be canned. He's wasting your time and getting paid to do it.  ???

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »
I know.   ;D

Jo Bannister

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 04:43:19 AM »
One of the things - the many things! - you have to watch with all editors, independent and publishers', is that they're not wannabe writers trying to use your book as their vehicle.  You don't want them to rewrite your book.  You want them to pick up errors of fact, grammar or continuity, to notice if you're under- or over-explaining, and to suggest better, more succinct or more marketable ways of presenting your work.

In thirty-odd years and thirty-odd books I've had editors I liked and editors I had to try hard to like, but I also had one - just one - who thought my book ought to be her book.  I looked at the amount of blue pencil on the first three pages and sent it back to the publishers, pointing out that they'd bought the book I'd written and that was what I expected them to publish.  To their credit, the typescript went directly to the senior editor who did the job herself, and it came back exactly as I hoped.  We had no further problems.

I know it doesn't feel like it, but you have to remember that the author is in fact in the driving seat.  No authors, no books, no publishers; no publishers, we authors can still self-publish or tell stories the way our predecessors did, sitting round the camp-fire.

Be professional.  Co-operate wherever possible.  But be true to your book, and don't let anyone walk all over you.