Author Topic: I'm not sure what just happened, but I think I got ripped off (Paid Editor)  (Read 10473 times)

Offline lamont cranston

Well, friend said he'd mail the marked up copies "in a week".

I still haven't seen them. 

My hope is that I misunderstood, and that the marked up copies cost extra.

Offline lamont cranston

I'm willing to pay him for what he thinks he's done so far, but I am not comfortable with signing him up to do anything additional.  He just hasn't been honored any dead lines or produced any work so far.  It's been two weeks since he said he'd send me the markups.

Jo Bannister

I've got a better idea.  Why don't you pay him for what you think he's done so far, and never, ever ask him to work for you again?

Offline lamont cranston

You think that's a better idea.  I don't.  And it's me who is deciding what to do.  ;)

first, I'm going to have a conversation with him about what he understands he owes me for that eighty bucks.  Does he think that initially he told me the markups were going to cost more than the two hour charge?  Or has he simply not had the time to finish the work, and thinks it goes on that initial 2 hour tab?

Then I will decide what I'm going to do about the current work.  I have already decided to pay him for 2 hours work.  I'm even willing to pay him for 3 hours work if he believes that producing the markups was going to take more than the initial 2 hours.

But I have already decided about having or not have him read the whole book and get paid for it.  I'm not going to pay him to read the rest of the book.

If nothing else, he can't get work done on time.  He doesn't respond to emails in a timely fashion.  I don't like doing business with people who operate that way.  If the work is going to be delayed I want THAT PERSON to contact me BEFORE the due date, and tell me that the work will be delayed, and when it will be done, and then honor that.  Anyone can make a mistake on estimating work, I feel.  I've done it.  Or on under-estimating the intrusion of their other priorities.

Just as far as how the agreement is reached as to what will be done for X dollars, he doesn't have a written contract that clearly spells out what he's going to produce, so there is inevitably going to be confusion between what he thinks he's doing for X dollars and what the customer thinks he's doing.  I also don't like that way of doing work either.

I've got a better idea.  Why don't you pay him for what you think he's done so far, and never, ever ask him to work for you again?

Offline lamont cranston

I should add that it's extremely important to me that people I do business with are satisfied with how I settled up, even if they are screwing up right and left, I still believe there is usually a graceful exit.  I do not want anyone saying that I did not pay my bills.  Within reason, if it doesn't go my way, I just don't do business again with that person.

hillwalker3000

Keep him as 'a friend' if you must, but ditch him as 'an editor'. You don't have to put up with the unprofessional manner in which way he conducts business. And I suggest you tell him why you're searching elsewhere for help.

H3K

Offline lamont cranston

As noted, that's already what I've decided to do.

I do know what he'll say if I tell him I find his behavior unprofessional - that he was planning on cutting back on his work this year due to some family issues, and he's doing as much as he can.

And that's fine.  I'm willing to put up with quite a lot but I still need to be told when work product will be delayed.  Before the due date comes and goes. 

I need the income from the book, and I can't wait around for anyone who can't deliver.

On a happy note, I was contacted by a bookstore that deals with a lot of small time local poets and authors.  They're interested in doing a book signing and presentation to the public.  I'll contact them after I have someone interested in the book.

Keep him as 'a friend' if you must, but ditch him as 'an editor'. You don't have to put up with the unprofessional manner in which way he conducts business. And I suggest you tell him why you're searching elsewhere for help.

H3K

Offline G. London

I don't know what your goals are in writing, but you have to deal with professionals.  You already have your answer on the first "Editor".  Write him off and find a professional. Have a detailed discussion of what you expect before you pay.

I like plenty of people and have plenty of friends in my profession, that I would never hire to be involved in my professional work.

The real publishing world is brutal. If you're going up against that world you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Offline lamont cranston

That is for sure.

I don't know what your goals are in writing, but you have to deal with professionals.  You already have your answer on the first "Editor".  Write him off and find a professional. Have a detailed discussion of what you expect before you pay.

I like plenty of people and have plenty of friends in my profession, that I would never hire to be involved in my professional work.

The real publishing world is brutal. If you're going up against that world you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Offline lamont cranston

Re: I'm not sure what just happened, but I think I got ripped off (Paid Editor)
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »
Well gang, two month have passed since I first contacted editor. 

Nothing.

Not even an answer to an email on settling up.

I'm pretty disgusted.  STILL willing to settle for two hours of work.  But...wow.

I think I'll try to find some beta readers and go from there.

The good thing of course is that I've been doing editing of my own - little corrections and improvements, taking some stuff out.  I'm actually pretty pleased with how that's going.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 03:44:59 AM »
That is a not inconsiderable silver lining.  As you progress as a writer, you'll need to be able to edit your own material effectively - sounds like this is the ideal time to learn.

As for your previous "editor", I think he - not you - has consigned both the business relationship and the friendship to the trash bin.  I doubt you've lost much on either count.

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
definitely.

Offline Arkie

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 07:49:45 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get a good resolution to the situation, but I'm glad you didn't get further in before things went south.

Offline lamont cranston

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
Editor now says the 1st 20 pages will be marked up and emailed to me tomorrow.   we shall see.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
And you still trust he'll have done a professional editing job? Don't hold your breath.

H3K