Author Topic: Productive Writing  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Demmy

• Twitter: @Demmy1512
Re: Productive Writing
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
Unfortunately, my writing takes place during lulls in my day. A half-hour at lunch, a half-hour or so in the morning, and maybe a longer stretch at night if life permits.

I'm like this too except the lulls have become fewer and further between.  I was attending beginner's poetry writing last year, but since I stopped going (December) I've barely written anything.  :(
'When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story,’ he said. ‘When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story.'  Stephen King - On Writing.

While health and strength allow, tolerate work.  For soon come bent old age and silent foot.  Ovid.

Offline K.L. Ravns

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
I find splitting up my time works best. I get up and spend about a half hour having my coffee and working on characters, places or thoughts. this helps me get into the writing mood. the rest of the day depends on my job schedule. If I work during the day I will come home and have dinner and write for an hour take a break for dishes and write for another hour. if I work later in the day I will start my 2 hour writing session right away. I always start by writing a daily goal of what I want to accomplish. the next day I reflect on how well that worked out and why and what obstacles I faced. I usually give myself a ten or fifteen minute break but sometimes it's longer. I also find 3pm and midnight to be good writing times for me. I don't have a lot of time to write with a full time job so I commit to writing a minimum of 500 words a day. its a small number but I put something on the page. I also tend to be motivated to write more when I know I have already passed my goal. I guess it feels like a bonus.

Offline Arkie

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, y'all. I'm still staying very productive, and it's Spring Break for me. I'm averaging three to four hours of productive writing time, and I'm a good half of the way through my novel's third draft in the month of March. I'm going to try to get through the last half in April.
I'm editing hard right now, and find that I can work about 1 hr straight and then I need to get up and move around. But by working an hour at a time, for three to four hours, I can get a good bit of writing done without being too tapped out by the end of the day.