Author Topic: A (very short) essay on virtue.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline zzzgog

A (very short) essay on virtue.
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
I might expand on it if you guys like it, or if I am able to think about more points.

Virtuousness is defined as morally good or acceptable behavior or character, moral excellence. But it is all relative because it leads us to ask several questions which show how vague this definition of virtue is. What is virtuous to one, may be despicable to the other. Hence deciding on a definition of virtue is no easy matter. It leads us to question the nature of morality, which is the belief in right or wrong. If virtue is doing what you think morally right, then anything that you think is right can be declared virtuous, under this vague definition of virtue, no matter if what you believe is actually "wrong" instead of "right".

Questioning virtue leads us to question what is "wrong" and what is "right". As morality is subjective, each individual has a different opinion on "right" and "wrong", good and evil. To assess a moral dilemma objectively, one needs to let go of all subjectivity and then choose according to certain cardinal rules of humanity. How do we know of the sincerity of these rules, these fundamental human rights? How do we know for certain that killing is "bad", "wrong"?

Because of logic. The defining, and distinguishing characteristic of humans is their ability to reason. By using logic, one can truly know that murder is "wrong", and can thus assess what is right or wrong with reasonable efficiency. Logic can truly define what is good and evil. If virtue depends on our definition of good and evil, which we decide by reason, then it means virtue depends on reason.

So is it correct to say that logic is virtuous? That the only way to be virtuous is by exercising reason?

Offline To a T

• TTTWritings
Re: A (very short) essay on virtue.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Hi z

In this essay I think you jump to conclusions before setting up your parameters and evidence.  
For ex. you begin:
Virtuousness is defined as morally good or acceptable behavior or character, moral excellence.
^typically your source needs to be sighted as well as examples of 'virtuous behavior' (who says this?)

Your second sentence: But it is all relative because it leads us to ask several questions which show how vague this definition of virtue is.
You have concluded 'all is relative' but you haven't given any evidence/ex./proof of this.

Essay writing & fiction writing is similar in that they both require concrete examples:
Aristotle stated -"All people by nature desire to know"  meaning we experience and learn through our 5 senses.
If you want others to accept that 'virtue is relative' you need to prove it with solid examples.

For this essay you will need to suss out what these themes (virtue/morality/logic) represent.
For ex. 'logic' is often considered mathematically - steps built on one solid instance after another.
You state, By using logic, one can truly know that murder is "wrong" but you haven't used logic,
you haven't done the work.  Again as in math, when a teacher asks you to show your work that is what
you need to do in an essay of this nature - Do & Show the work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:28:59 PM by To a T »
Life isn't always pretty,
but colour won't hurt you

http://tttwritings.blogspot.jp/p/day-one-wild-as-you-are-all-that-love.html

hillwalker3000

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:53:09 AM »
Reads more like - 'this is my opinion' - than a well-balanced essay shedding new light on the matter. Not exactly illuminating reading.

H3K

Offline Mico818

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
I thought this was an interesting read. Personally I didn't really feel like the writing was moving in any direction and was kind of flat. The topic in itself was what got my attention and made me want to read what you had to say. I feel like this could be a very thought provoking piece if you continue to work on it :)