Author Topic: Birdwatchers  (Read 1807 times)

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
Birdwatchers
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:05:22 AM »
Hi all,
Just finished my first cuppa...unfortunatlety it ain´t Tetleys, can´t get it down here.
...just read that Lin is an avid birdwatcher, which is becoming a new thing of mine, amongst all my other activities!

My number one hobby at this moment in time is fishing, so picture the scene:
I´m at the edge of Rio Penitente reeling in my first rainbow trout of the afternoon session and above me on the face of Moro Chico is an eagle chasing a Condor away from its eyerie.
Also flying around me, skimming for flies, are numerous swallows, behind me are Upland geese, Buff-necked Ibis and Southern Lapwings.

Or,

Last saturday on a visit to Perito Moreno Glaciar a very large group (collective term unknown), of green parakeets made for a great foreground shot. Every time a piece of the glaciar would break off; big bangs, the parakeets would leave their perches and fly all around...it was amazing.

Anyway, thought I´d share that with you and although not fully updated with all my phots you can see some of them in the gallery of my website....www.patagomania.com

off for my 2nd cupa now
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Lin

Re: Birdwatchers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:40 AM »
O     M    G   I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!

LIN

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:27 AM »
Hi Lin,
Please don´t be, just come on down, we have 772 km2 of Patagonian everything!
Space to think, write, paint and .....birdwatching of course.

Have a good trip and a curry for me!!

Bien viaje
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:16:36 AM »
no i cant buy Tetleys here in Holland, I have to go to England for my Yorkshire Tea!!!  Hence my trip on Wednesday.    I do my Brit shopping there.   Things are in bigger packets, especially my Kelloggs Sepcial K.  Im off to Oz for some wildlife watching in November.

Our Bluethroats arrive in Holland soon, that is always a sign that Spring is here.   My hubby and I are doing the survey starting on 1 March and Ill let you know what is flying in from Africa!!

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »
HP sauce! I have about 2cms left in my last bottle!! Although when some of the chileans come back from the Falklands they usually bring me a bottle or two.

I maybe off to Oz in May, not a great time for the wildlife I know, but just off to visit a friend.

And as you say, Spring is almost upon you, here we´re starting to prepare for the winter.
We definately know when spring is here when the lapwings arrive, they make sure you know when they´ve arrived! They circle around all day screaching until the last has arrived. Although I say screaching, it is still a fantastic sign and sound.

Just as matter of interest have you seen the NAT GEO video called `Flying Devils´? Its a 2 year study of the Striated Cara Cara, filmed in the Falkland Isl. What an amazing bird, although a rare bird of prey, these guys are like badly-bahaved school boys. Not shy at all, I have one phot where you can just see my finger stroking its claw! They attack you, follow you, steals your kit and they are everywhere on the island.

If you haven´t seen it, it´s very much worth the effort in trying to find a copy
Tam