Author Topic: Alice, A Country Gal  (Read 5075 times)

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
Re: Sticky: Alice, A Country Gal
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »
I always feel I have lost a close dear friend when somebody dies here. Alice was a lovely woman - always willing to help anybody. I'll miss her.  :'(

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
Oh, Alice. I'd say her departure leaves a hole, but that hole is nothing compared to how much she's filled our lives. She's been a constant motivator in my life, and I'll never forget her.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
I am so sorry to learn of Alice's death.  So the Country Gal has headed up to the high country.  They're lucky to get her.

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
Thought of her today :-*

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »
Dearest Alice,

You were an original. One of a kind. Strong and gentle.
May you rest in peace.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
A service will be held in Texas for Alice this Saturday. If there is anyone wishing to attend, her son Rick will come across and post the address. Add your interest to this thread if you would like the information.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:33:05 PM by fire-fly »
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

hillwalker3000

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
Another sad day. But she'll live on in our hearts. I always pictured her in my mind as a cute cowgirl at home in the high chaparral of her dreams.

H3K

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
Re: Alice, A Country Gal
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:56 AM »

We were on vacation, camping out in the Oregon country when I received this sad news so was unable
    to keep a connection long enough to contribute a decent tribute for our sweet Alice. 
    Much of the area made me think of Texas and Alice until we moved down into the Redwoods. 

I stood in a foggy mist in the middle of a fern carpeted, coastal Redwood forest as the afternoon sun
    streaked ethereal rays through the tall trees. I was in awe.

As I sat here last night, reflecting on that moment, my breath caught in my throat because it struck me
    that those rays of light could be heavenly bodies, spirits, if you will, dancing atop the branches of
    Redwood trees, the tallest living things on Earth.

I do believe we have an energy, a spirit that doesn't die with the body and that there is a collective,
    higher power or place. I have to believe there is something beyond this life. The thoughts of all of those
    we’ve lost, having freedom to frolic in treetops on their way to wherever they may be going, free from the
    weight and worries of the world is comforting. Alice being the most recent in the forefront led me to think
    that her spirit was able to glimpse all of the beautiful places she had yet to see on this Earth before she
    embarked into the next journey. Angels adorn Christmas trees, why not Redwoods? They are every bit as magical.

Alice had a yellow rose way about her that was kind, gentle, and lady-like. She
    was special to us for many reasons.

This phenomenon of family and the camaraderie most of us feel in our connections here at My Writer’s
    Circle with people we have never met is magical and it makes the forum feel like home – a safe haven to
    return to time and again. We bear our souls here and reveal secrets that writers dare reveal and at the
    same time we feel the loss of one of our own profoundly. 

Alice joins Tim the Red Barren, Skip, and Ma in that sacred place between the lines of the words they’ve
    written and exchanges we’ve made with them.

We loved Alice without ever seeing her or having been in her presence which I’m sure would have drawn
    us to her more.

I send my heart felt condolences to her entire family. To her sons, whom she was so proud of, I gather
    through conversations she and I had, that she raised you to be considerate, well mannered men. I hope you find
    that serves you well throughout your lives because she loved you completely and wanted you to be the
    best you could be.

I will miss you Alice and I thank you for all of your reassuring words of wisdom and advice and for bringing calm to the storms.

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Laura H

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »
Lovely, Deb.  :'( :-*
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 07:32:36 AM »
 :-* :-*

What Laura said, Alice would be humbled by your beautiful words  :'(

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Thank you Laura and FF. Isn't it a shame we don't say those words more often to the person who probably would appreciate them the most while they are still here with us?

On the other hand, if I wrote appreciations for everyone I appreciate, I would never be able to stop writing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:18:14 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline TomJoad

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
I didn't know Alice.. but I can see where she would have made a large impact on the people she came into contact with on a daily basis.

That in itself should be a goal for all of us.. make a difference no matter how small you might think it is... go out and make a difference.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
Too true Tom  :)

Offline Catherine F

• I watch the ripples change their size (D. Bowie)
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
How sad! I'm so sorry about these news. I've been away not connected to internet and this comes as a shock. I wish I could have said good bye to this grand lady, so helpful and gentle and generous. May she have passed quietly, with no pain or suffering.
Sad day.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
 :-* :-*

Was a shock. Alice was supposed to stay forever