Author Topic: layout of my synopsis  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Hollie

• View Profile
layout of my synopsis
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »
Below are the sections of my non-fiction synopsis.

General Overview
Market & Competition
Promotion and Marketing
Subsidiary-rights Potential
About the Author
The Book
Chapter Summary

Most of this is geared to the requirements of the agent I have been referred to by my editor. But I was not given exact details for the below questions. (I know to ask my editor but I still want other opinions.)

Should I double space the entire thing? Right now it is 15 pages including title/cover page.
   Should I use indent the start of each paragraph or leave to the left?
                Should I drop each section to the start of new page, even is there is a lot of room left on that     page? Or should it all run together?
   I have double spaced between sections. I have bold headings at the top of each section.
   Help and thank you.
   Hollie

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 12:00:09 AM by Hollie »

SuzieHarris

Re: layout of my synopsis
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 04:15:29 AM »
Hi Hollie,

You're talking about a 'book proposal' rather than the synopsis. The synopsis is a concise document outlining the bones of the story, while at the same time hooking the agent/publisher to want to read it.

Now to answer the questions:

Should I double space the entire thing?
Single spaced the whole way through. Double between paragraphs.

Should I use indent the start of each paragraph or leave to the left?
Indentation is on first paragraph of each section only, after that keep to the left.

I have double spaced between sections. I have bold headings at the top of each section.
Drop each section to a new page, keep the bold headings.

Also you will need to:
Add page numbers.
At the beginning of the document add the title of each section and the page number it starts on .
Add headers that include your name and the title of the proposal - Microsoft Word has a special function for adding headers & footers, I use that.
You will also need to add a sample chapter (around 3000 words) to show them your writing style and for them to see if they like the book. This section, however, will need to be double spaced as would the finished manuscript.

Hope that helps, Hollie!

Suzie
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:59:06 AM by Suzie »

Offline Hollie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
Hi Suzie,
I am having trouble wrapping my brain around "Proposal" because the book is finished and I keep seeing Proposal's as being about a book you could write but haven't. That's why I end up saying Synopsis instead. I will break that bad habit right now.
Yes, I do have my title page and it has the contents and page numbers. That's why, I too, figured each section would drop to a new page. But I wanted to make sure it was not too many pages. THAT SAID, one more thing. Do I center the section that does not fill an entire page. Or just leave the space at the bottom? I would think just leave it at the bottom and keep my headings all even. But???
Also, I was wondering about the manuscript being double spaced when it's just a sample chapter. You advised on that as well and I truly thank you.
I know. Silly questions. But I'm just not sure.
As soon as I have double checked for any typo's. Please look for it under the 'Review My Work'.  I would love your opinion.

Hollie

SuzieHarris

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:47:13 PM »
Hollie,

A synopsis is usually a maximum of two A4  pages that does nothing more than outline the story. What you have done is a book proposal. They can be written bfore a book is written, or afterwards. Most publishers want to see the proposal for a number of reasons. The main ones being to make sure there is a market for the book and that you have done your research. And secondly, to see if it fits their list before they spend hours reading a full manuscript.

Now, with regards to your question:

Do I center the section that does not fill an entire page. Or just leave the space at the bottom?

Leave the space. Don't centre it.

Also, please don't plaster your work with copyright symbols. This serves as a big clue to a publisher that you are an amateur.

I will look out for the posting on the review section. Anything else, just ask away!

Suzie  :)

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »
Indentation is on first paragraph of each section only, after that keep to the left.

Suzie - always thought this was the other way around: First paragraph flush left; other paras indented. Is there specific formatting for a proposal? (Only asking because I've never done one - busy filing information for later!)

Thanks,

Symphony
Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org