Author Topic: What tools do you use when you write??  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Dasherwood

What tools do you use when you write??
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
When I write I either use ‘Open Office’ or ‘WordPerfect X6’. I have become very accustomed to ‘Dragon Naturally Speaking’ It’s helped me find a voice in my writing. I would like to think that my stuff flows a little bit smoother because of it. Also I will usually have Spotify playing low in the background on some ambient music that I really don’t have to pay attention to. Dark Chill, nature sounds, or piano. I know that Scrivner is very popular, but I just have not been able to get into it. I’m just curious as to what everyone else uses and what their writing routine consists of.

Offline sallyj

• The Writing Blog of Sally Jenkins
Re: What tools do you use when you write??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »
I'm very boring. I use Microsoft Word and write in silence. I prefer it if there's no one else in the house too.

Mister URL

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
LibreOffice. Old maps online for period authenticity. I don't have sounds playing. The biggest aid to me is reading the words aloud. It shows up funny dialogue and long sentences in a hurry.

Offline asilalenore7@mywriterscir

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »
I, too am boring. I also use WORD, and prefer to be alone. Although at times I may play soft classical instrument only.
If on a bus, etc when the muse strikes I use pencil and spiral pad that fit in any purse, and type in later. hahaha sometimes 1o years later,  :) Asilalenore7

Offline heidi52

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:05:49 AM »
I'm in the word and silence club, too.   :)

JewelAS53

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »
Scrivener and some background noise I don't have to listen to - otherwise I have to stop typing to satisfy myself the noise I just heard was the house creaking as the temperature cools, and not an intruder.

Offline Suncat

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:36:26 AM »
Word usually, also use my tablet for names I use name generators.

Offline RFranko

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:24:56 PM »
I use MS Word and Scrivener. Although people rave about Scrivener, I would say it has many unique features that are useful. However, when it comes down to the actual writing of text I find Word the most useful. Why? As stated by Scrivener the program is not a "word Processor."
Scrivener is more a document organizer and library for all your research data and it really is great for that.
However, 99% of your time creating a novel or eBook is spent writing and in doing so Word is just more sophisticated and easier to use.
Opening the navigation bar on the left side of the screen in Word is the equivalent of the binder in Scrivener. Working with text styles, formats and text in following paragraphs and paragraph spacing is far simpler in Word using the menu icons across the top of the screen.

With Scrivener, you write your entire document then have to return to it to reformat all the paragraphs, headers and text using a "word Processor" as suggested by Scrivener.  I prefer my headers, text, paragraphs, and spacing are all set on the fly and not have to return to find and correct them as 2nd and 3rd edits are tough enough.

There are many other things to compare between the two programs but I'll try to keep using Scrivener and maybe I'll figure out how to make it more successful at creating a final document.

Just one last thing.  I find MS Word more compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking then Scrivener.

Offline Bradley Shiner

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Hello,

I use Open Office and like to her background music, usually classical or jazz.

Best

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:29:06 AM »
I frequently do use simple pen and paper to get ideas flowing.
while having a cop of coffee in my self-designed writers coffee mug :)

Recently I also got a few of our own Pens
from our collection in the mail,

It felt somewhat excited to unpack them and now I can also
actually write with some of our self designsed Pens.

(that are nr. 2 in our Top 5 Most Popular Products) 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:51:20 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline peterdep

• Seeking a cunning plan...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
Having tried everything I find the following works for me:
  • MS Office 365 stored on Google Drive - available to work on from anywhere
  • A simple text editor to use as a running notes clipboard - take your choice, there are dozens - a good one is Sublime Text
  • Grammarly for typos etc. plus excellent plagiarism checks
  • Bear for long-term notes and researched references
  • Mendeley for citations and references

Best writing time - 05.00h to 07.00h in the morning = bliss :)

Offline RC Cameron

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
I did my first book with Word, moved to Scrivener for the second one, I love it.

Now, because English is my second language, I run my text through Antidote first, Grammarly next and finish with ProwritingAid.

I'll bet I'm the only one doing so  :D :D