Author Topic: yWriter anyone?  (Read 2725 times)

Nelodra

yWriter anyone?
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »
Has anyone used the free yWriter software?
I have just installed it to my HD, and am in the process of transferring (well, actually doing a copy and paste from Word) my current WIP into yWriter and was wondering if anyone could help me on how to proceed next?
It seems like a useful program, but obviously I still need to get the hang of it.
Meanwhile I was wonderign if anyone here has used it/is using it, and how well you like it - or not  ;D

nassj

Re: yWriter anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »
I have it in my computer but I never use it. It looks complicated to me, if you work it out please let me know, I make notes for now.

Nelodra

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:04:20 PM »
It IS complicated, and although I've now figured out how to split up my chapters into scenes, I'm not sure as to whether or not I will be using it...
Oh well, it 's free software after all, and if you get what you paid for... well, you get nothing, right?  ;D

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:05:48 PM »
Hi,
I downloaded yWriter a while ago too, but never used it.
I also downloaded PageFour, another freebie; I do use that quite a bit, especially for rewrites to add back to my Word programme. There are also  other freebie writer's help gear out there, like Plotcraft etc.

http://www.softwareforwriting.com/pagefour.html

http://farook.org/bytes.htm#plotcraft

for plotcraft, just scroll down the page a little for the download link ok  :)

Ellie

Offline glued

• OK here I am...for a while.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:40 AM »
So which of these free softwares is the one that is recommended. Appears there's a lot out there. Ellie any idea.

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:33 AM »
Glued,
For myself, I use Pagefour, it's easy to use and isn't complicated, I like that. Keynote is also ok, you can get a freebie version of that too.

Ellie

Offline glued

• OK here I am...for a while.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:04:37 AM »
Ellie thanks for the info. I have downloaded Pagefour.
Anything I should know before I start using it.

Can you please point out the pitfalls especially.

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:51:07 AM »
I haven't found any pitfalls yet, Glued; but being as it's a freebie, I don't really expect it to be perfect. Like I said earlier, I've mainly been using it for rewrites, so that I've got the original work where it already is, and can then compare notes and which version looks bette -- I know I could have done that in any word programme really, I just find it useful for notes etc I suppose.

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 09:02:31 AM »
There are loads of writers freebie-software listed here... I downloaded a lot of them myself, but I soon deleted them from my PC too; as some of them weren't worth having or were too complicated to use for quickness.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43803&highlight=writer+software

nassj

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 10:33:28 AM »
I just down loaded pagefour and I don't know were to start  ???
I'm hope less on computers. :-\

Offline bob414bob

• Learn to spell, it helps!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »
I use Writely.com on the net. The best feature is the revisions button, each time you edit something it stores it and lets you compare two versions. It also saves your work automatically every time you type which is handy. It also lets you add peoples email addresses and then they can read your work and even edit it if you give them permission. Its also free.