Author Topic: Bio, EEEK!  (Read 4738 times)

Offline heidi52

Bio, EEEK!
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
One of my stories made it into the final 10 in a flash fiction competition and now I've been asked to submit a photo and a bio.
I've never done one before. Unless resumes count.

I've been looking around to see what others have done and most I see are in 3rd person. "Sally has done blah blah."

Is there a rule that I can't do it in 1st? "I have done so and so."  ???

Is it ok to post it here and get some feedback?

Offline Laura H

Re: Bio, EEEK!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
Congratulations!

Bio's are daunting, aren't they?  :o I've only ever seen them in 3rd person, and that's the way I did my own. No reason you can't post your bio for feedback.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Vogel

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
Third person generally looks more professional, I think, Heidi. I saw them in first in an anthology where my short story was accepted, and I will say, that I thought they stuck out like a sore thumb. The general rule, I think, is to write them in 3rd.

But that's just my opinion, so use or lose. Congrats and good luck!

Artemis Quark

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
Congrats on making the final ten, Heidi.

Third is more 'professional' but also more distant. If you want to connect with readers on a more personal level, first is better IMO. Depends on the genre too. Not sure about a FF contest but if your long term goal is to generate interest in you as a writer of, e.g., clever horror fiction with surprising plot twists, I think you could separate yourself from the masses with a first person greeting aimed at your target reader type.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:51:19 PM by Artemis Quark »

Jo Bannister

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:15 AM »
Oh, well done, kid!  Whatever the outcome now, well done.

But keep the bio in 3rd.  That way, it looks as if it's someone other than you that's blowing your trumpet!

Lin

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:23 AM »
Yes third is best.

I made up an example.

When Gina Baltimore moved to Cornwall, she became inspired by the scenery and the people to write her first novel 'Walking with Beachcombers'.  Gina, born in Germany to parents in the armed forces, was educated at the English School in Westfalia where she loved to write short stories.  Later she moved to England to study Literature and Sociology at Cambridge upon where she obtained her degree.  Now aged 42, she is married to John Baltimore, a chef with his own restaurant. He encouraged her to write a book about life in their hometown of Looe.  First, Gina became a teacher of creative writing and her short stories have been published in People's Friend' magazine before she embarked on the path of becoming a novelist.  'Walking with Beachcombers' is the result of watching life in the town and how she turned her 'people watching' into a romantic novel.  

Keep going on this theme, but only write what the publisher wants you to write, the number of words, half a page etc. Yes, use other examples to help you on your way, but whatever you do, don't make this a list of things that 'Gina Baltimore' does.  Make it flow. Example do NOT do this:

Gina Baltimore was born in Germany, she wrote her first book 'Walking with Beachcombers' and later married and had two children.  Her husband works as a chef in a restaurant in Cornwall.  She went to University at Cambridge and studied Literature and Sociology. Later, she became a teacher of creative writing.

It's best to try and 'storyfy' it so that the publisher/ your readers can see in their mind where and how Gina has progressed over the years.

Hope this helps

Lin  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:22:57 AM by Lin Treadgold - Author »

Artemis Quark

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 06:51:53 AM »
An informal sample of bios in the thriller genre (what I read most) shows third is used more than nine out of ten times. Here's the one first person version I found about Brad Thor. Since it is also the copy Thor uses on his Author Page it is written in a conversational tone but does seem a bit 'tooty' and 'salesy' so maybe better to have others do the tooting. Especially if your bio will appear in a contest winner announcement. My takeaway is the POV used depends on the purpose and type of publication as well as what you want from the publicity. Again, JMO but what do I know?  ::)  ;D

Welcome to my Amazon author page! Thank you for stopping by.

In addition to my novels, I have just published my very first short story, THE ATHENS SOLUTION. Originally published in the anthology, THRILLER, I have revised THE ATHENS SOLUTION and have included an in-depth bonus afterword.

Along with the film projects, I have just finished my brand new thriller, FOREIGN AGENT. FOREIGN AGENT will be published June 14, 2016 - and you can pre-order it now.

In the meantime, I have created an array of terrific bonus material for you at my web site BradThor.com and hope you will stop by. While you're there, you can enjoy videos as well as sign up for my exclusive newsletter with its special subscriber-only content, contests, and GREAT prizes.

Thank you for all of your support.

Please make sure to pre-order your copy of FOREIGN AGENT today.

Offline Simple Things

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:41 AM »
Well done on the top 10. As for the bio, I never liked writing them, not sure if I have a preference. I would suggest more so 3rd because it is towards a reading audience and so would be seemingly addressed to the masses rather than the one.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »
Congratulations on your achievement.

Your bio should definitely be written in 3rd - and keep it short. Remember it's a brief writing cv not a life history complete with how many family members you have and the name of your pets. By all means inject some human interest - but concentrate on what makes you a little different from all the other writers out there. If you want more examples the Amazon Author pages are worth a look - not always to see how it should be done but how it should not be done.

As for advice on the photo - you're on your own there, kid.

H3K

Offline heidi52

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
Thank you all for your advice, I'm still taking it all on board. I've written two versions and don't like either.

I don't think I angst-ed this much over the story.

As for advice on the photo - you're on your own there, kid.

H3K

That's the worst!  ;)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »
My advice on the photo - for anyone over 20, black and white photos are your friend. Just saying.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline heidi52

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
My advice on the photo - for anyone over 20, black and white photos are your friend. Just saying.

;D ;D

Offline TomJoad

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »
If over 20 should be a black & white photo... mine should be an avatar......

Offline heidi52

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »
I like the avatar idea

I'm wondering if they will take a sketch, or maybe a pic of my dog. She's much more photogenic.  :D

Artemis Quark

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
If you have photoshop, try posterizing a real pic, adjusting the amount to blur/hide things you'd rather not show.  ::)