Author Topic: Trouble with Amazon  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Dasherwood

Trouble with Amazon
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
It recently came to my attention that one of my stories on Amazon consisted of the cover and two blank pages. I rushed out and checked it myself. If you were to look at a sample download it's there. When I downloaded the book it was only the cover and two pages. The rest of it was completely missing. I re-uploaded the file in a DOC format. I waited till the next day and checked it out again. It was still the two pages. I changed format and uploaded it as an RTF file with the same results. I tried once more and uploaded it as a PDF file, again with the same results. I have five other books on their and they are all normal. Just asking if anybody else's had this type of problem.

Artemis Quark

Re: Trouble with Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
Hi, Dasherwood. I have read that uploading a word doc is sometimes problematic, especially if is is not a version that has been 'cleaned' of Word-specific tags, fonts, etc. that mess up Amazon's conversion to a mobi file format.

You might find some helpful alternative approaches (even if your other ebooks are working) at http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/2015/07/all-about-e-publishing.html

I used to write using Word then copy and paste plain text to an html document in Dreamweaver, especially since my books contain images but now, after reading notJohn's blog, I still take the text from the Word-MSS and tweak things by creating an EPUB using the free Kindle Previewer and uploading that to replace the html-images-zip file.

Check out his blog. Hope it helps.

AQ

Offline sallyj

• The Writing Blog of Sally Jenkins
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »
That is a weird problem, Dasherwood. I tend to write and format in Word and then I save the Word doc as HTML Filtered and upload that to Amazon, which seems to work.

Artemis Quark

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
In case the Notjohn blog I mentioned earlier did not help, here is another useful reference that may answer your question about Word to Kindle formatting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FG163Y?dpID=51Qtuq%2BYFNL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&refRID=41EYD1CAA5DGJDBAMEP9&ref_=pd_rhf_ee_s_qp_1

I found Aaron Shepard on kboards.com. His knowledge about Kindle formatting is worth tapping.

AQ

Offline andrewravensdale

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:49:42 AM »
Formatting with a text editor is not difficult.

Sigil is the best text editor I know. It is specifically designed for eBooks.

'Ebooks 101' by Teo Kos is a good beginner's guide.

Andrw