Author Topic: Short Story Competition  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Short Story Competition
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »
My local writers group, Lichfield & District Writers, have launched their 2006 Short Story Competition. The main details, copied from the website at http://members.lycos.co.uk/Lichfield_Writers/ , are below:

Short Story Competition 2006

First Prize: £125

Second Prize: £75

Third Prize: £25

Adjudicator: TBA

Entry Fee: £3 for first entry, £2 each subsequent entry

Closing Date: 30th November 2006

Results: March 2007

Entries to: L&DW Short Story Competition
133, Park Road
Barton-under-Needwood
Burton-on-Trent, Staffs, DE13 8DD, UK

All short-listed entrants receive a certificate of achievement.

Rules and Conditions of Entry

1. Entries must be in English, original, not published in any form or broadcast, and no longer than 2000 words
   2. Entries should be sent to: L & DW Short Story Competition, 133, Park Road, Barton-under-Needwood, Burton-on-Trent, Staffs DE13 8DD to arrive no later than last post on 30th. November 2006.
   3. Entries must be typewritten or word-processed on one side only of A4 paper, double spaced with wide margins
   4. Manuscripts should carry no identification other than the title, and consecutive page numbers. Each entry should include a title page carrying the authorís name, address and the title of the story. (An entry form is not obligatory but is recommended if an appraisal is requested.)
   5. Any number of entries may be submitted at £3 per first entry, £2 for each subsequent entry (sterling cheques or postal orders payable to Lichfield & District Writers, please). Entrants requiring an appraisal must also include a further £4 per appraisal requested. An entry fee of 6 IRCs per entry will be accepted from non-UK entrants only (10 IRCs per appraisal). Not IMOs, please.
   6. No manuscripts will be returned unless an SAE of suitable size carrying sufficient postage is enclosed. Contestants must keep a copy of their work.
   7. No entrant may win more than one cash prize.
   8. Short-listed entrants and winners will be notified by post mid-March 2007.
   9. Entry to the competition implies acceptance of the rules.

If acknowledgement of receipt is required please include a stamped addressed postcard.

If a copy of the short-listed entries and prize-winners is required, please include a small SAE (IRCs from overseas). The results will also be sent with returned mss. and appraisals.

The judgesí decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Some further information, including copies of past adjudicators' reports (well worth reading) can be found on the Lichfield & District Writers website at http://members.lycos.co.uk/Lichfield_Writers/

The competition is open to writers from the UK and overseas. As the rules state, you do not need to enclose an entry form with your story, but if you wish you can write to the address above requesting one (remember to enclose an SSAE). You can also get further information by e-mailing L&DW's Competition Secretary, Jane Rogers, at jmr-at-bunwd.demon.co.uk (please change the -at- to the usual @ symbol).

Good luck!

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Stupot

• ToxicSock.co.uk
Re: Short Story Competition
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:20:39 PM »
Thanks Nick. This sounds interesting.  I think I'll enter.
Do you know of any other short story competitions? We should build a list of some sort.

[EDIT]
I've just found another one... Amazon.co.uk are doing a Pirates themed short story where you have to add no more than 800 words to a part of an unfinished story that has already been written by Gideon Defoe.

Closing date for entries is 14th December and is open to UK mainland residents aged 18+.
Winners will be informed by 6pm on March 1st 2007.
---------------------------------------------------------

Nick, I gather you are a moderator.  What do you think about having some kind of list where people can post information on short story and poetry competitions? I think it would be a useful tool... thanks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 05:57:01 PM by Stupot »

N.Mott

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »
Do you know of any other short story competitions?

You may already have this but worth repeating since it's still running:

Nick Jr. off the TV are running a 'Write a Bedtime Story' competition. Submissions can be by post or online.
500 words or less - open to all age ranges, so a great activity for kids and parents:- Story writing, and a go on the PC to submit it online - what's not to like?!

From the website: www.nickjr.co.uk/bedtime/
The competition launches on Monday 25th September - watch out for short animated specials of classic childrens tales every evening on Nick Jr to inspire you. We will be collecting bedtime stories from all over the nation until Friday 10th November, so get thinking about what your story will be!

From the entries received, the best fifteen will be shortlisted. One overall winner and two runners-up will have their bedtime story turned into a short animation which will be screened early next year on Nick Jr. In addition, the overall winner will receive a creative writing weekend break worth £750, plus £250 worth of book vouchers to spend on your little ones' favourite titles!

And just a note to say, if you do submit online you don't need to fill in your age if you're over 18. Doh! ::)

- Naomi

Offline Stupot

• ToxicSock.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:01:28 PM »
Hey Naomi. Does that mean you are actually suppsoed to be under 18?  What if they do a check, will you be disqualified if they realise you are over 18?

If you haven't already noticed, I edited my above post and included details of another competition on amazon.co.uk.

N.Mott

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Open to all age groups, Stu, but aimed at parents.
You just need to confirm you've got parental consent to enter if you're under 18.
- Guess I'll have to go wake up my dad and ask it it's ok.  ::) ;D

- Naomi

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:46:41 AM »
Nick, I gather you are a moderator.  What do you think about having some kind of list where people can post information on short story and poetry competitions? I think it would be a useful tool... thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, anyone is welcome to post details of writing competitions/contests they have discovered on the Writers Wanted board. Probably best to start a new topic for each competition.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

N.Mott

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »
A Warning

Further to my earlier posting about the Nick Jr. Story competition:

According to the rules of the competition - to paraphrase - authors sign away copyright to any material submitted to Nick Jr. as part of this competition, and, if picked as a winner, the authors are expected to attend the prize giving at their own expense, or an alternative winner will be chosen.
I've gone ahead and submitted something anyway, but this question about copyright was raised in another forum and I just thought you should be made aware of it.

Always Read The Small Print.

- Naomi

Offline Stupot

• ToxicSock.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »
That's the strangest thing I ever heard.  Why do they demand rights to the entries?  I've entered a only a few competitions in my time but they always say that copyright remains with the author.  And that means that even if you don't win you can't use that story again because you've given them the rights?... Are they just stuck for ideas and want the public to come up with material for them?

N.Mott

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:01:34 PM »
I suspect, Stu that:

a) They don't want bolshy authors to have any say in the re-writing - winning entries will be animated and shown on Nick Jr.

b) They don't want to have to pay repeat fees.

c)
Are they just stuck for ideas?
- wouldn't surprise me.

d) Free advertising on forums like this  ???

- Naomi

Offline bugaboo

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Nick I think you are literally my next door neighbour!!! As i'm so local to you could you tell me more about the writers group you're involved in, I was going to enrol at the one at the John Taylor but believe it fell through yet again, due to lack of interest.
I did take park in a writing comp. held at Lichfield Garrick a few years ago - eventually a lady from the US won, never heard anymore.
;D

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
Nick I think you are literally my next door neighbour!!! As i'm so local to you could you tell me more about the writers group you're involved in, I was going to enrol at the one at the John Taylor but believe it fell through yet again, due to lack of interest.
I did take park in a writing comp. held at Lichfield Garrick a few years ago - eventually a lady from the US won, never heard anymore.
;D

It's the Lichfield & District Writers. They meet on the first and third Thursdays of every month at Cruck House, which is just outside the centre of Lichfield. They have a varied schedule of talks, workshops, manuscript nights, and so on. Anyone is welcome to attend, but for non-members there is a small fee (which is refundable if you decide to join). The annual membership fee is quite modest - I think it's £20 a year. More details (including the current programme) can be viewed on their website at http://members.lycos.co.uk/Lichfield_Writers/

If you're interested in coming along one week , I'd suggest that you email Jane Rogers, the publicity secretary, at jmr-at-bunwd.demon.co.uk (please change the -at- to the usual @ symbol). Jane will be able to give you any other info you require.

I must admit that due to my other commitments I'm not a regular visitor to the group any more, but they have just booked me to give a talk next year!

Nick

Offline bugaboo

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Nick, I'll give it a try and hopefully see you there next year.
H...