Author Topic: Interesting Article - Self Publisher Vs Traditional Publisher  (Read 2368 times)

Offline MJTennant

• We are the Gifted
Hello all

I found an interesting article today whilst doing research for the development of my marketing strategy etc. and wanted to share it with you.

Personally, I respect people from both sides of the fence and again understand both points of view, but I enjoyed reading this. 

Just wondered if you had any thoughts as I know there are both types of author on here.

Let the battle commence - joke!!  :P

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/luxeco-living/dear-mainstream-authors-s_b_3626633.html

M J

hillwalker3000

Re: Interesting Article - Self Publisher Vs Traditional Publisher
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
It's literary snobbishness that keeps those traditionally published authors (and I'm one) looking down their noses at those mavericks (I'm also one) who have the drive and confidence to self-publish. As the article points out - it's a tragic waste of your precious time writing hundreds of query letters and synopses to no purpose when you could be working on your next novel.

Vive la Revolution.

H3K

Mister URL

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
I self-publish, so I am not very objective. I cannot see how the 'after' skills of acquiring an agent, carefully concocting query letters, waiting, absorbing rejection letters, and repeating until satisfied has anything to do with the common goal of writing. But I understand the appeal of the traditional publisher: it instantly separates you from the masses into a much smaller pond.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
The stats are clear: unless you only count ebooks, the average traditionally-published book sells more copies and makes more money than the average self-published one.

Notice that when a self-published book sells well, the author then signs with a traditional publisher. Doesn't really happen the other way round (yes, OK, Terry Goodkind, but look how that turned out).
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline ed

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »
The stats are clear: unless you only count ebooks, the average traditionally-published book sells more copies and makes more money than the average self-published one.

Notice that when a self-published book sells well, the author then signs with a traditional publisher. Doesn't really happen the other way round (yes, OK, Terry Goodkind, but look how that turned out).

Please show the stats. I am digging around on my computer for one that came out from Amazon that reported indies are pretty much giving traditional authors a run for their money.

As for authors who sign with a traditional publisher later. Not all of them are doing it. Many have turned down six figure deals. Most, if they do jump when they achieve a level of success will work out an agreement where they still hold the rights to their digital books ( as that's where all the money is being made right now ) and they come up with an agreement that lets the publisher handle paperbacks in stores like walmart, etc.

Though in addition to this. It seems Walmart may be opening up to indie authors soon so that will soon change. Right now most indies are reporting that paperbacks make up maybe 2% of sales. The rest is digital. You don't need a publisher to earn that 98%.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:06:32 PM by ed »

Offline ed

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
Hello all

I found an interesting article today whilst doing research for the development of my marketing strategy etc. and wanted to share it with you.

Personally, I respect people from both sides of the fence and again understand both points of view, but I enjoyed reading this.  

Just wondered if you had any thoughts as I know there are both types of author on here.

Let the battle commence - joke!!  :P

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/luxeco-living/dear-mainstream-authors-s_b_3626633.html

M J

It's resistance to change. Simple as that. Just as the music and movie industry has had to adapt so is the book industry.

Old published authors ( not all of them ) can't help see all the trouble they went through to get where they are and then when they see other authors achieving and even OUTRANKING them online, it hits their ego.